FCA-Only for Athletes?

FCA-Monday night (12/11/17) gathering in prayer.

What is FCA?

FCA or Fellowship of Christian Athletes meets Monday every two weeks in the Middle School Board Room in the Adel Middle School Commons around 8 p.m. The leadership team consists of around 15 members which are determined by the attendance each week. Kristen Baier, Sydney Canney, Rylan Heffernan, Micah Moyer, Ellise Mueller and Samantha Schepers are some of the 15.

The meeting starts with snacks and greeting everyone, moving onto a game involving every student, then usually a speaker and small groups to discuss what they heard. The small groups ranging from 5-10 break up around the middle school Commons, talking about highs and lows of the week, and move onto discussion points from the speaker or video, then possible Bible verses. After small groups the members gather back into the boardroom, one will lead the group in prayer hand in hand. Then, one starts to count, passing each number to the next for a total headcount on that week’s meeting attendance.

Attendance and participation rising every week, one question that prevents students from attending is that they are not an athlete. The athlete in the name of FCA can cause confusion about who can attend. But students don’t have to be athletes or even athletic; whether in a sport or not, all ADM High School students can participate. Basketball to wrestling, dance and cheer, play, band, and choir are few of the student’s activities one may see represented on a Monday night.

BlackandRedgister ran a poll on Twitter asking their followers if they believe FCA is only for athletes. From the 46 people who participated, 26% voted yes, 65% responded no, and the remaining voted for “What’s FCA?”

Sydney Canney describes FCA as,”Anyone in FCA would say there are many people who are not active in sports, but more of fine arts. We like to call FCA Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Artists, and or Anyone! It is a place where anyone can be with their school.”

The next meeting will take place after Christmas break, Monday night at 8 p.m. in the Middle School Board Room.