Pitching the ball to the batter, junior Grant Jansen is a pitcher on the baseball team as well as being involved in other athletic endeavors.
Photo by Kendal Book

2024 IHSAA Student Advisory Committee Member: Grant Jansen

The IHSAA Student Advisory Committee is a program that utilizes student ideas, perspectives, and involvement in athletics to bring a young workforce to Iowa athletic state events throughout the year. They work to create proposals and provide input to the IHSAA Board of Control for the betterment of Iowa high school athletes. Junior Grant Jansen is a member of this committee and was inducted at the beginning of the 2023-24 school year.

Jansen had to go through an application process to be elected to this board. He shared his reflection on the events that led to his induction.

“Rod told me about it. I had to write an essay about how to show leadership in my school and athletic programs.”

Jansen completed this essay and later received the good news that he had been chosen to serve during his junior and senior years.

“In the fall, we met with athletic directors on the board and talked to them about how to do a better job at treating their athletes and respecting their time,” said Jansen as he described his early work as a member of the advisory.

He also reflected on the program itself and shared insight about what members of the board do while serving.

“We promote respect to officials and opposing teams with good sportsmanship,” explained Jansen as he talked about the mission of the committee.

He also talked about his work as a member.

“Not only thinking of ideas to exhibit leadership and good sportsmanship within the committee but also bringing those ideas back to school and athletic programs and implementing them. The fun part is getting to go and be a part of state athletic events through running social media platforms for the committee.”

Additionally, Jansen has been able to see a whole new part of state athletic events through this committee. He shared that there is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes that athletes disregard.

“I’ve got to work at state football, wrestling, and basketball for boys sports. It’s more interesting to see all the work that happens behind the scenes. It takes a lot of people to set up and run a state event efficiently.”

Along with getting to see the behind-the-scenes work, Jansen has some takeaways from this experience.

“I think you try to encourage your teammates to respect officials because there’s very few of them who are willing to do that job due to the backlash, and it’s important to keep them around. I’m fortunate enough to be on the committee and create new relationships with other athletes throughout the state and take those ideas back to my community.”