Coach Seidl and the speech team at competitions a previous year.

2020-21 Speech Season: A Q&A with Coach Seidl

March 26, 2021

Speech is for everyone. There is something for the person who is a born performer. There are also categories for people who hate public speaking, but want to work on those skills. The things you learn during speech will stay with you long after the performance ends.

— Coach Seidl

The 2020-21 Speech season is currently underway. Competitions have been completed and further ones are scheduled for next month, with COVID-19 precautions put in place to keep everyone safe. I reached out to the Speech Coach, Mrs. Seidl, on how competitions are different for both the Reader’s Theater (An Ax Murder Story) and the Choral Reading group (A story about being on a jungle safari trying to find the great ape).

1. About how many students are in speech this season? 

We have about 65 students involved in speech this year. 

2. How do speech competitions this year compare to competitions other years? 

The biggest difference will be contests. Usually we head to a different school to compete against multiple schools for districts and state contest. This year, each school gets to decide what type of contest they will have (in person/virtual). We are having an in-person contest next week for Large Group districts. Even though it will just be us, the judge has a good knowledge of what a strong performance looks like. So making it to state will take just as much hard work and dedication as a normal season would. 

3. How long does the season last? 

We typically start Large Group at the end of October. Individuals wrap up around the end of March. 

4. How many hours have students been preparing?

Most groups meet anywhere anywhere from 1 hour- 3+ hours a week working on their pieces. 

5. What is the most important reason to you why students should join speech?

Speech is for everyone. There is something for the person who is a born performer. There are also categories for people who hate public speaking, but want to work on those skills. Communication is the number one skill that  employers look for in an interview. The things you learn during speech will stay with you long after the performance ends.

6. How long have you been a speech coach?

This is my 13th year coaching here at ADM. I also volunteered coached while I student taught—I just love working with the Speech program.

7. Favorite aspect of coaching this season? 

The resilience and flexibility of these groups. It definitely isn’t an easy year, but they are willing to put in the work to make their performances strong. 

9. When is the competition? Will it be livestreamed or videoed for other students to watch after? 

Our first competition is next Thursday. It will not be livestreamed or videotaped due to copyright issues. If someone is interested in speech and would like to see what it is about,  tell them to come see me. 

Black & (Red)gister • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in