Teacher Feature: Get to Know Ocak

Photo by Alexa Seiler

Last year’s retirement of many ADM staff members has called for a plethora of new teachers this year. Alongside McKenzie Gettler,  Kristen Harrell, Tyler Bohlke and Beth Basinger, we have Chris Ocak, the Psychology teacher. He is also teaching World History.

Ocak discribes himself as a loyal, caring, sensitive guy, with many giving properties. He rather enjoys giving his students homework just to be more connected with them and understand their learning styles.

He loves the school district and would like to continue being apart of the staff here at ADM. “I would like to be teaching, and coaching, but maybe at slightly different capacities. Within that, maybe a different class or two within social studies,” said Ocak.

Although his time in the classroom uses a big chunk of his time, he enjoys other activities outside of school. You can find him watching sports, hanging out with his family, doing outdoor activities like going on walks, shooting hoops and riding his bike.

He originally grew up and went to school in Colorado, and he later on got his college degree at Metropolitan State College of Denver which is in downtown Denver. He moved to Iowa without a teaching license, so he went to Iowa State and earned his teaching license.

Ocak feels the need to be on the level of the students when it comes to teaching, and says that one of the main parts of being a good teacher is understanding how the students work in the classroom environment.

“Knowing and understanding that every student brings their own unique perspective on the world is very important,” said Ocak.