Where Have All the Clubs Gone?

At one point of these clubs existed at this school. Now only some of them do.

Photo by Grace Hatchitt

ADM has done a great job of allowing students to join different clubs to participate after school. Although, as years gone by many people have realized that many of these clubs have disbanded and lost their teacher sponsor. This leaves students to wonder, where have all the clubs gone?

Mrs. Seidl sponsored Books and Bagels and used to host meetings once a month during the school year.

“It’s not a club that generates money and so part of the issue was the funding, like who funds buying bagels for that group once a month. Mr. Griebel was very nice and did that for us for quite a long time but, we needed to bump up the number of people that would come. Also, the mornings were really tough to get people there,” Seidl said.

Other clubs had to disband due to teachers leaving or it got too much for the teacher to handle to the time. Hyperstream, Art Club, French Club, SADD, and more were affected by this.

After conducting a survey, most students miss the clubs that have disbanded and want some of those back, like Books and Bagels, Yoga Club, Hyperstrem.

Aaron Crow is one of those students. He was in Hyperstream and wishes to bring the club back and what he misses about it, “Learning about the different ways to defend computers and just cybersecurity in general,” said Crow.

Students don’t just have to wish to get these clubs back, they can take action and talk to teachers who would like to sponsor the club or host it in their rooms to broaden after school activities.

“If there is an interest of anyone who is interested in starting a book club, either with the same book or getting together once a month and talking about books, they should definitely let me know and I would love to create those power hours for them and to fit it into whatever format they want it to be,” Seidl said.

With all the clubs that students want back, some students want to create new ones like Super Smash Bros Club, Movie Review Club, Cooking Club, Volunteer Club, and many more. If you wish to start one of these clubs, then talk to Principal Lee Griebel and pitch your idea to him. Then after you get approval the club would need a sponsor or teacher sponsor, depending on if it’s curriculum-related or not.