Meet New Teachers: Devon Allbee

Devon+Allbee+gives+feedback+to+her+students+about+their+projects.+

Photo by Abigail Croushore

Devon Allbee gives feedback to her students about their projects.

Devon Allbee is an English I and English II teacher and is new to the ADM High School community. Allbee’s hometown is West Des Moines, but she currently resides in Waukee. She said it’s about a 15-20 minute drive depending on the traffic that day.

Allbee grew up with her mom, an older brother who is now serving our country in the Navy, and one little brother and one little sister that are at ISU. She also has a dog named Luna in the family as well.

Allbee attended college at UNI. She knew she wanted to be a teacher since elementary school. Her mom and aunt were both teachers at her elementary school and she feels as though it sort of ran in the family.

This is Allbee’s first teaching job. When asked what she first thought of ADM, she said, “I liked the sense of community at a small school.” She says she still feels that way now, but she feels like it has developed more. She enjoys the PLC and the staff and students at ADM. She isn’t positive what her future will hold, but she wants to continue to grow and get better as a teacher. She also knows that she doesn’t want to get involved in administration.

She says the biggest differences between student teaching and being an actual teacher is having full control of the classroom. She can do the things she wants to do, but it is also more overwhelming having to grade everything with no help.

She said if she could tell someone to read a book, it would be Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.