Meet Our Exchange Student: Aleksandra Drljeric

Aleksandra+Drljeric

Photo by Aleks

Aleksandra Drljeric

Montenegro Map

Every year ADM High School gets multiple exchange students from all over the world. We love having them here and allowing them to experience what America is like, while learning about them and their part of the world.  Meet Aleksandra Drjieric.

Aleks is from Montenegro and is junior. She first learned about this opportunity to come to America by a presentation held at her school.

“It was really exciting to hear about this, so I thought to try it out because I was really good at English,” she said.

At her school, the students study English starting in 1st grade. Like studying Spanish or French at ADM, in Montenegro you are allowed to keep studying English as an elective if you wish to.

“I have liked English since I was a little kid and that’s why I learned it so well,” Aleks said.

Throughout the difficult process, Aleks had to do many interviews and a take a lot of tests in order to come. 

Traveling across the ocean is scary enough, but Aleks had other fears before coming here as well.

“I was scared that I was not going to fit in because you come alone to a new society, new culture, new everything. You come to a place where you don’t know anything and you’re not used to stuff that you guys do here, but I fit in just fine.”

Comparing America to her home country, Aleks says they are a lot different. Nature is one big difference. Instead of flat ground, Montenegro is full of mountains and has a coastline. Another major difference is the schooling. If a student receives a fifty percent on an assignment, that grade would equal to a C minus. Not only is the grading different, but the classmates you are with is also. Rather than switching up students between grades, in Montenegro you have one set of classmates and you are with them for 4 years.

“I would say it’s a lot harder back in my country than here because here you have a lot of opportunities and you choose a lot of the subjects you want to learn,” she said.

Throughout this adventure, Aleks has learned a lot about herself. She has discovered that she is more independent and able to do things on her own.

“When you get somewhere by yourself, go somewhere by yourself, experience something by yourself, like new things, everything new…then you meet yourself,” she said.

Some other interesting facts about Aleksandra is that she is involved in sports. She plays volleyball here at ADM and is possibly going to play basketball in the winter. Aleks also participates in the arts including singing and dancing. In her home country, she was a part of a traditional dancing and singing group.

Aleks loves all the food that she has had in America, but one thing that stands out the most is peanut butter because they do not have it in Montenegro. In her country, the food is more nature based and organic so she enjoys the variety of food that America has to offer. Some food that she likes from her own country is a special cheese, homemade pizza and cake as well as a traditional dish called kacamak.

For future plans, Aleks is thinking about finding a college here in America to study languages. She believes there is not much variety when it comes to colleges in her own country. She speaks fluently in English, Russian and her own language. Using these skills, she is thinking about being a translator, guide for tourists, or a teacher.

Aleks has said she loves being apart of Adel and the school community.

“I like pretty much everything. The people are so friendly especially talking about Adel.  Everyone is always smiling and always welcoming,” she said.

Even though Aleks has only been here for two months, she has made a lot of friends. She enjoys being at a smaller school because she gets more opportunities to meet new people.

However, there are many ups and downs of being an exchange student.

“Exchange students are separated in different parts of the world because you come here, you leave a part of your soul and heart and then you come back. It will be a hard thing leaving this family and coming back to mine,” she said.

She is looking forward to seeing her friends and family again as well.

Aleks will never forget the memories she has made. She loves being able to be apart of a new culture and society, but also share her culture with the students.

“I will miss the experience. I have experienced a lot of new things, and I think I have grown as a person. I’m really thankful for this program and this opportunity to be here with you guys,” she said.

Aleks will return to Montenegro in June (date to-be-determined), but we will never forget her here at ADM. If you haven’t met her yet, reach out and find a great new friend.