April 2023 Kiwanis Humanitarian Student of the Month: Thomas Nugent

April’s Kiwanis Humanitarian Student of the Month, Thomas Nugent, is the son of Jason and Maggie Nugent.

Nugent has a GPA of 3.94 and has been involved in baseball and Humanitarian Cord. From baseball, he has learned how to be a leader for underclassmen and be “mentally strong.” Nugent also spends his time helping out Kiwanis, the Fine Arts Boosters, youth sports events, and his church, St. Johns in Adel.

His teachers and interests in history and financial literacy have made Nugent’s favorite classes during high school AP World History, AP US History, and Financial Literacy. Nugent will major in marketing and minor in cinematography at the University of Iowa in the fall.

To be successful in school and life, he said to “look at all the opportunities when you’re entering high school.” He recommends building a schedule and GPA as freshmen and sophomores because it gets harder to do as upperclassmen.

Nugent is grateful to be Kiwanis Humanitarian Student of the Month and said, “It’s good to like have recognition for things that I’ve worked hard for in high school.” He believes his time volunteering and helping people, and the relationships he has made through working with Kiwanis, are the reasons he was given this honor.

In recognition of his achievements, Kiwanis of Adel has donated $50 to the ADM Scholarship Foundation.