2023 February Kiwanis Humanitarian Student of the Month: Ela Bjork

Ela Bjork is February’s Kiwanis Humanitarian Student of the Month. She is the daughter of Lindzy and Jason Bjork and has a GPA of 3.99.

Bjork’s favorite classes throughout high school have been the three biomed courses, her English classes, and yearbook. She found the biomed classes to be interesting, and as someone who likes to read, she enjoyed the variety of texts read in her English classes. Being part of yearbook has solidified Bjork’s plans to become a journalist by majoring in Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Kansas this fall. Bjork will also be minoring in dance to continue her passion for the sport.

As a dancer, a Student Council member, and a volunteer who will receive her Humanitarian Cord at graduation, she has learned how to persevere, have fun while working hard, and “the importance of showing up to meetings.” Leadership has also been a quality she has learned from these activities. Volunteer opportunities she has frequently spent time with are youth sports events at ADM and Single Parent Provisions.

Volunteering is a service activity that she does not do to get recognized, so Bjork said it is “very nice to be recognized for the volunteer hours I’ve put in” and for all of the work that it has taken to complete the hours. Bjork believes she has been chosen for this honor because she is a good student and for her volunteering commitment throughout high school. Her advice for being successful in school and life is to “do your best, as much as you can, and work hard” because it will “pay off.”

In honor of her achievements, Kiwanis of Adel has donated $50 to the ADM Scholarship Foundation.