Meet Our Exchange Student: Corina Turcan

Photo by Nikole Seaholm

Corina backstage during the Foreign Exchange Student presentation week

What would you do in order to find yourself? Spend more time alone? Go on a vacation? Search for a mentor? Take on a new class or hobby? Well, Corina Turcan decided in order to discover who she is meant to be, she was going to take her whole life and everything she has ever known and move it to the United States for a year as a foreign exchange student. Meet Corina Turcan.

Corina is currently a junior from the Republic of Moldova.

Her journey throughout the exchange program has been as difficult as the next person’s – rejection, stacks of paperwork, planning months in advance, and talking her jaw off for countless interviews. But that did not discourage Corina or take her out of the game; the whole point of this experience was to challenge herself and see what she was capable of.

“This challenge would show me who I am and my ambitions,” said Turcan. “I wanted to see the real me.”

Her struggles weren’t only in the form of tests and applications, Turcan had some stress within herself.

“I was fearful I would not have a good relationship with my host family and I doubted my ability in speaking English at all times,” she said.

Not everything has been trying. She has found numerous positives within the United States and her new community.

“I love how Adel is so peaceful with a lot of nature,” Turcan said. “It’s a small school so you are able to talk to everyone. As for the United States, strangers will smile at you on the streets and say hi. We don’t have that back in my country.”

The friendliness isn’t the only other difference Turcan has spotted while she has been here, she says the cars, buildings, sports, and most of all the FOOD is different.

“You guys have so much food here,” she said.

She has found a new love for homemade banana bread, apple crisps and pecan pie.

Turcan has discovered more than her interest in volunteering and a new audience for her beautiful singing voice- she has found the one thing she was thinking her… herself.

When asked what she has learned about herself here, Turcan replied, “I realized I am a good motivational speaker and that I am not good at sports. I am capable of making good relationships with everyone and I no longer fear what people say about me if I do something crazy.”

In June, Turcan flies back home and says the one and only thing she misses about home is her family.

She will be saddened to leave behind the fact that here, if you want something, you can go get it and make it happen. Turcan knows she will miss the open and happy lifestyle but she plans on coming back sometime in her life for possibly college or even to reside.