• The Drake Relays are offering free general admission for the track and field day on 4/26
  • No School this Friday. 4/26
  • We have two up and coming college visits, check out your email for more information.
  • Applications for the Summer Media Journalism Internship are due May, 3rd
  • Tickets for prom are on sale now. View your email for information about purchasing.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Check in your email for Vounteer Club Opportunities
  • Don't forget to nominate students for character spots. Use the form in your email.
  • Submissions for ADM's Literary Magazine are due May 1st
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.

What Preparing for a Cake Decorating Competition Looks Like

Photo by Mallory Davison
The very first practice design of the group’s cake, “A Basket of Blooming Flowers.” After this photo was taken, the group changed minor things such as adding handwriting on the top. 

The ADM High School ProStart ll class will compete in a baking competition at HyVee Hall on February 27, 2024. ADM is bringing two teams of three students to compete against groups from schools all across Iowa. Many aspects go into the days building up to the competition, so we will dive into what some of the preparation work looks like.

The teams have been preparing for the competition since the beginning of January making practice designs of the cake they will make when they compete. They’ve made the whole cake twice, tweaking little things both times to improve it. The group changed their cake flavor from red velvet to chocolate coffee cake. They’ve also decided to use store-bought fondant instead of homemade. They made this decision because homemade fondant takes a lot of extra time and it also can be very challenging to work with. In addition to trying to find the perfect cake recipe, they also have been working on and mastering five piping techniques.

The requirements that students had to take into account when planning their design were the cake must be smaller than two feet tall, it must be spring-themed, and three piping techniques must be included. This team has been practicing many piping techniques but has decided to use rosettes for the flowers, a shell border, and handwriting on the top. The judges are looking for well-decorated creations but will also consider what the cake tastes like.

The group consisting of Mallory Davison, Kennedy Sorber, and Katy Ransom named their cake design A Basket of Blooming Flowers. They will have an hour and a half to fully decorate and complete the finishing touches of the cake decorations. This will be helpful since the team is used to working with the hour-and-a-half time frame during class.

Four days before the competition, the students will begin dying the fondant for the basket weave around the cake, and dye the frosting in various colors for the decorations. Just one day before the competition, they will bake the cake. They will also finish the crumb coat before the competition but will leave all other frosting and decorating at the competition.

“I think it will just be a fun experience, and if we lose we lose, but I’ll just pretend I’m on a baking show and have fun with it.”

— Mallory Davison

The team has mixed feelings about this competition, but collectively, they are all excited about the new challenge.

“I’m nervous but I think it’s cool because last year we got to watch the competition and this year we get to be a part of it because they now have a cake decorating section,” Ransom said.

If the teams compete and score well in the state of Iowa, they will have the opportunity to compete at a national level in another state. It would be against other winners from states across the country.