• The Drake Relays are offering free general admission for the track and field day on 4/26
  • No School this Friday. 4/26
  • We have two up and coming college visits, check out your email for more information.
  • Applications for the Summer Media Journalism Internship are due May, 3rd
  • Tickets for prom are on sale now. View your email for information about purchasing.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Check in your email for Vounteer Club Opportunities
  • Don't forget to nominate students for character spots. Use the form in your email.
  • Submissions for ADM's Literary Magazine are due May 1st
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.

The Growing School District

ADM has been a growing school district for many years now but with numerous new housing developments popping up, we have been seeing growth in the middle of the school year. This can be a big change for current ADM students, new ADM students, and teachers. Many questions have arisen, why are so many people moving to ADM? Is it a struggle for seniors to adjust for only 1 semester? How is the school managing the growth?

With over 700 students in the high school alone and a new building on the way, teachers have had to make adjustments to their classrooms. Teachers have had to add more desk space to their classrooms to fit the maximum amount of students. The high school has begun expanding into the middle school rooms. This takes away a middle school bathroom and four classrooms. Since the middle school has become just 7th and 8th graders, they have not seen a shortage of classrooms just yet. As we rapidly increase in students, we also need additional teachers and substitutes. During power hours in previous years, there would be an option for students to attend a study hall in the commons, however: the need for teachers and associates has grown and we are no longer offering these study halls. This can leave kids attending power hour sessions in classes they don’t need and filling up spots for kids that need additional help. As a town, Adel has continued to develop with new housing developments and businesses coming into Adel. South of town is the fastest growing part of Adel, with over 5 new housing developments and a strip mall. In 2015, the population of Adel was 3,985 and has jumped to 6,276 in the present.

Now the question is, why are so many people choosing Adel? There are many reasons, some are completely personal but others are due to the school, growth rate, or new job opportunities. Many new families have chosen to call Adel their home because of the highly rated school district. This year ADM was ranked in the top 10 school districts in the state of Iowa according to the US News and World Reports. ADM is also the only district in Iowa to receive a ‘high performing’ rating for every building in the district. This can be a big factor for young families trying to find the right school for their kids. Another reason can be family-based. After speaking with Jose Ontiveros, he said that he moved from Waukee Northwest because he got the opportunity to live with his brother. He moved in the middle of his senior year to our district. He said that adjusting to ADM has not been a challenge because of the amazing teachers and students who are extremely helpful. ADM is welcoming 4 new seniors throughout December and January. and continue to do what they can to develop alongside the growing town. The new high school is projected to be done in 2028 with all other projects estimated to be completed in 2033.

Share this…