Highlighting Students’ Love for Stories: Learn About the Budding ADM HS Book Club

Pillows+featuring+book+sayings+sit+ready+for+students+to+enjoy+what+the+library+has+to+offer.+The+Book+Club+gathers+in+the+middle+school%2Fhigh+school+library.+There+are+always+new+book+displays+around+the+library+that+feature+different+kinds+of+books+for+those+looking+for+a+book+to+read.+

Pillows featuring book sayings sit ready for students to enjoy what the library has to offer. The Book Club gathers in the middle school/high school library. There are always new book displays around the library that feature different kinds of books for those looking for a book to read.

“Do you enjoy to read? Do you like to talk to others about what you are reading? Are you needing some good book recommendations?” These questions appear on the ADM HS Book Club invitations posted around the high school.

Students joined forces with the library to offer an opportunity for high school students to meet with fellow readers and talk about books.

Earlier this school year, junior Haley Perry talked with high school librarian Jacque Seidl about forming a Book Club. It is one of the first student-led groups to start up after clubs died out during the Covid-19 social distancing requirements. It was an idea created in the wake of the before-school Bagels and Books group going away.

Perry’s inspiration for forming this Book Club was her love of reading and the book club her mom is in. She said, “I thought it would be a good idea to start it here, to provide that opportunity for students to read more.”

The fiction section in the library is located on parallel shelves. The books are organized by genre, so students looking to join the club can search for a book in the month’s genre by going to the corresponding section. There are genre color keys posted around the shelves to help students find the genre they want.

Seidl’s reasons for helping organize the Book Club were similar. “I love books. I like to read. I love helping kids find something that they want to read,” and students give her book suggestions, too, she said. Seidl added that it just made sense for her, as the librarian and a book lover, to be the one to support starting a Book Club back up.

Those who come to the Book Club will be surrounded by these two people who are passionate about reading, but they both encouraged anyone to join them; even people who claim to not like reading.

“I think a lot of people don’t like to read, but they don’t give reading a chance,” Perry said. “Reading helps with so many different things… enhances everything.”

There is not a large amount of time during the school day for free reading in high school, so the Book Club is a way to encourage students not to stop reading.

The Book Club has been meeting in the library once or twice a month during Power Hour since January. With ISASP testing interrupting Power Hours in April, the Book Club has been on a lapse but plans to meet again in May. It is still a fairly new club. Seidl said, “There’s definitely some logistics that we’re still kind of working out with this,” which includes having to find Power Hour time when there is available space in the library.

These flyers were put up around the school at the beginning of April. Next to them were book suggestions based on the chosen genre, science fiction. Perry mentioned that because it is a student-led book club, the students have freedom to decide how it will be structured and what they want the Book Club to look like in the future.

There are multiple ways for interested students to sign up. The QR codes around the school take students to a Google form that lets Seidl know who to pull for Power Hour, or students can sign themselves up on Flexisched the week of a meeting. On Flexisched, look for the Book Club on the second and fourth Thursdays of the month under Seidl/Media Center. The group tries to be flexible, though, so don’t be surprised to see it appear as an option on other days as well.

About 10 students attended the first meeting, according to Perry, but she hopes more people will join when they can. Seidl said some students attend frequently, but attendance can be inconsistent because there are days that there are other places students need to go during Power Hour instead. Seidl also hopes for growth. She said, “I’d love more people to come, you know, it’s pretty laid back. We just talk about books, so it’s not a hard thing to do. It’s kind of a good filler for, you know, that time [Power Hour].”

The group does not pick one book for everyone to read but chooses a genre to dig into each month. This makes it easier for others to jump in. Perry said she thought this setup would work better for everyone instead of everyone reading the same book.

Looking forward, the genre for May is currently up in the air, but Perry said her ideas are romance or fantasy. Seidl and Perry are not the only ones who decide the month’s genre, Seidl said they are always up for suggestions.

The end of the school year is approaching, but Seidl and Perry said the Book Club is planning on continuing these meetings next school year.

Perry said, “I want them [students] to know that it is a fun place to just go, and hang out, and chill, and read, and talk about books and stories.”