Scholastic Journalism Week at ADM

Planning and collaborating together, Delaney Kahler, Kate Weieneth and Allison Blum discuss the Toilet Papers for the week. Kahler says she enjoys working with her peers because they create cool things and she gets new ideas. The News Journalism class prides itself on creating unique stories through their teamwork.

Everyone remembers the exhilarating Scholastic Book Fair from our adolescence, but knowledge about the all-important Scholastic Journalism Week is very limited.

Scholastic Journalism Week for 2023 is set from February 20th to the 24th. The week is supposed to highlight the work of school journalism publications, encourage more people to pursue journalism and teach people about the importance and history of journalism. The theme this year is “More to the story,” which is supposed to inspire student journalists to dig deep and find informative and unique stories. At ADM, the yearbook and journalism classes are run by Beth Basinger. Basinger has planned a whole week of activities to truly celebrate Scholastic Journalism Week.

The lesson for Monday the 20th is planned around “The truth in reporting.” When it comes to the news, it is important that the information journalists are giving is factual. This day is supposed to stress the importance of the truth, teach how to analyze sources and give students the opportunity to read credible stories.

Tuesday the 21st is “Balanced reporting” day. This is supposed to make students write stories that are balanced on both sides. In power hour, there will be a Q&A panel with the ADM Black and Redgister journalists. There will also be time allotted to learn about different careers in news.

“Inclusive reporting” day is Wednesday the 22nd. Fairness and lack of bias are the staples of this day. To ensure they have a big staff next year, the news team has arranged a time during power hour for students to shadow them while they work.

“Student press freedom” day on Thursday the 23rd is centered around the First Amendment of the Constitution. The First Amendment states that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” This law states that Congress is not allowed to create a law that limits people’s freedom of speech or the press’s voice. On this day of Scholastic Journalism Week, students will remember their rights and celebrate their ability to have them.

The final day of the week, Friday the 24th, the class will celebrate “In-depth reporting.” This day encompasses the entire week. The goal of it is to uncover new types of news and investigate to the best of your ability.

Delaney Kahler, editor of the Black and Redgister, says that she joined New Journalism originally because she always loved to write. “My favorite part of being in News is being able to really write what I love and have a platform to kind of share stories that I write. And I love the people.” Kahler said she is excited about Scholastic Journalism Week because she wants people to learn more about the journalism classes. She prompts new people join New Journalism. “It’s a super fun class. You learn life and college skills and get a lot of parties.”

If journalism or being part of an investigative team interests you, this week is for you. Sign up for these activities during your power hour and if the fast-paced, gripping world of journalism still appeals to you, add News Journalism to your schedule for the 2023-2024 school year.