February Student of the Month: Sydney Pottebaum

Smiling+Sydney+Pottebaum+poses+for+a+picture+as+she+was+recognized+as+the+February+Student+of+the+Month.+

Photo by Kashish Patel

Smiling Sydney Pottebaum poses for a picture as she was recognized as the February Student of the Month.

Sydney Pottebaum, the daughter of Scott and Amy Pottebaum, has been recognized as the Student of the Month for February. Pottebaum has an outstanding GPA of 4.0. Pottebaum’s favorite classes in high school are Biomedical Science, Art, and Child Development. Sydney says “I loved being able to create things and have Mrs. Clowser as a teacher in art.” She also quoted that “Child development was really fun and interesting. I have learned a lot and I have been able to use what I learned outside of class.”

Sydney is involved in Academic Decathlon, Speech, National Honor Society, Student Council, and Equality Club. Pottebaum states that through these activities she has “learned that it is okay to fail tests sometimes.” She has also learned “a lot of good speaking and collaboration skills.” “It has helped me learn about new ways to help the community and the importance of hard work.” Sydney also volunteers often to help her community. “I have volunteered for a lot of different groups but my favorite thing to do was Haunted Hallways.”

Pottebaum is going to go to Iowa State University to complete her academic education. “I am going as an undecided major but right now I’m thinking about something in environmental studies or science,” quoted Sydney. Sydney advises others to “work hard and try your best but also know your limits.”

Sydney believes that being a student of the month is “really cool” because it shows that people have noticed the effort that she puts into the things she does. “I think was chosen because of the work I put into school and activities and the attitude I have towards school.”

In honor of Sydney’s achievements, the Raccoon Valley Bank has donated $100 to the ADM Scholarship Foundation.