Photo by Rachel Suarez

Dakota Jones – January Kiwanis Student of the Month

Dakota Jones, daughter of Dan and Karla, maintains a GPA of a 3.7 and is one of two Kiwanis Students of the Month.  

Her favorite classes throughout all ofhigh schooll are Band, math, Chemistry and Earth Science.  She likes the atmosphere of the classes, and the students in them.  Not only that, but Chemistry and Earth Science relate to what she wants to do in the future.

She is involved in dance, band, jazz band, Speech, drama (she’s a Thespian), Academic Decathlon, FFA, 4H, soccer, rugby, and church activities after school. These have taught her how to “make new friends and talk to people…how to be more outside of my comfort zone and try new things.  I’ve learned how to stand out, because, then you get more notoriety and recognition.”

She volunteers at Living History Farms over the summer as a counselor during their day camp and has helped at the Playhouse in Des Moines.  Her family also goes to Meals from the Heartland a lot–not only do they package meals, they move boxes and get more supplies.

Dakota is planning on attending Graceland University and majoring in Chemistry and Secondary Education, and she hopes to minor in Biology.

When asked what advice she’d give to other students about success in school or life, she replied, “In high school, do every activity you can, anything you’re interested in, because I know there’s activities that I wish I did, but never got involved in. Do everything you can, because then you won’t have regrets.”

To her, Kiwanis Student of the Month means that, “I’ve worked hard enough to be recognized.” Dakota thinks that the reason why she’s been nominated is, “because I work hard in class… I guess I’m a pretty good student and I’m involved in a lot of stuff.”

In recognition of her achievements, Kiwanis of Adel has donated $50 to the ADM Scholarship Fund.

Black & (Red)gister • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in