#MeToo: ADM version

As hard as it is to admit, Hollywood and D.C are not the only places where sexual harassment and assault happens… it can hit as close to home as ADM and our community, itself.

A massive movement resurfaced in October of 2017 called “Me Too” where doctors, politicians, actors, producers, directors, and more are under heavy scrutiny for alleged assaults committed by them. Well known people and normal samaritans are standing up and telling their stories of non consensual sexual encounters they are experienced with a large number of celebrities and big names.

Names like James Franco, Harvey Weinstein, Larry Nassar, Michael Douglas, Al Franken, and even the President of the United States, Donald Trump, have been accused of sexual misconduct along with a number of other well known figures.

Several students from ADM were asked about their thoughts on the monumental movement and if they have a ‘Me Too’ moment, every person asked did in fact have at least one… here are their stories.

Taylor Nepper and Jordan Foreman recall moments in their workplaces when they felt exposed and not at ease.

At Fareway, when I first started working there, there was this guy, and he was like, “how is your day?” and I said, “pretty good”, and he replied with, “yeah, you are pretty good looking.” As I was walking back inside from pushing out his groceries, he was like, “ I wish I could take you home with me.” He was in his 40’s or 50’s, maybe. I was really uncomfortable and I just went back inside. I just kind of like let it slide so he wouldn’t know it bothered me; I didn’t know what else to do or say,” said Nepper about her most memorable ‘Me Too’ moment.

When asked what she thinks about the ‘#MeToo’ campaign, Taylor Nepper said, “I think it’s really cool because you don’t expect them to say anything, you just expect them to keep everything to themselves because they are like these perfect people, but I think it’s cool that they are finally making it a big deal.”

Nepper advises victims of sexual misconduct to do what they think is right for themselves, talk to someone and see what they have to say about it.

Jordan Foreman experienced a similar struggle but with her boss.

“At Walgreens when I was working there, the manager would always touch me and stuff, like on the shoulder and be like “hey best friend” and ask for high fives and stuff. He was a complete creep and when I told HR about it, they were just like “ I don’t think he would do that,  just stop”, they just completely blew it off. My mom made me quit my job there, because he was a complete creep and he was the higher up manager. The person I told was corporate and they said that he wouldn’t do that and he is one of their best managers. Even other girls there have reported him before and seen it happen to me and HR just keeps insisting that he doesn’t do that. I felt uncomfortable, it’s just weird like even if a kid my age touched me and I didn’t want it, I would be like get your hands off me, like we’ve learned that since kindergarten, continue to understand that, you shouldn’t touch one another without consent. If I knew he was working that day, I would dread going there. One time, I had a full on anxiety attack and started crying and I just completely walked out and I left.”

Foreman’s one regret is not persisting more on getting her former manager in trouble and prevents it from happening to the next victim.

“I think the Me Too movement is a positive thing, but at the same time I don’t know how many cases of those are real. It targets big people and they could just be trying to get them out of office or just trying to get him to not be doing this anymore. There is so many cases for each person and they all were from like 15 years ago, it’s like why didn’t you step up and say something sooner. Some people I know, they don’t want to report it right away because they are scared,” Foreman says on the topic of the campaign and her thoughts on it.

Jordan Foreman advises others to speak up, talk to someone, and to confide in someone they truly care about and trust if they experience an uncomfortable encounter like she has.

Others have felt enraged and unprotected in public places such as the mall. Emily Gard spoke about her numerous experiences of sexual assault in places that should feel safe to citizens.

When I go in public places, a lot of the time, guys touch my butt, spank me, or whistle at me and make derogatory comments. It makes me feel bad about myself and insecure. Sometimes I feel like I shouldn’t wear the things that I wear or that I shouldn’t try to look good without someone turning it into that. Usually I tell them not to talk to me. I found that if I am with a friend and not by myself, they don’t do that as much. It kind of sucks, but it is easier with a friend. You should be able to go to the mall by yourself. Sometimes I get angry and say something rude, but I feel like that is giving them the attention they want so I wish I turned the other cheek and just ignored it more often, it gets kind of frustrating.”

Emily Gard’s thoughts on the crusade is,” I think it’s good that they are trying to finally put a stop to it. And it’s always easier to come out and say “yeah, that happened to me” when you’re not alone. People won’t be as scared to speak up.”

Gard’s advice to other sufferers is, ” Something I wish I did more is to stand up for myself. If you are put in a situation where you don’t feel comfortable or if they actually touch you or assault you… don’t minimize it, you should speak out.”

A student from ADM, Keelyn Libby, has even felt unsafe in the comforts of her own friend’s home.

I’ve been hanging out with a few friends and I almost have been touched in inappropriate places that I don’t want to be touched. I was a little bored one night when I was hanging out with some friends and so I was scrolling through my snapchat list, wanting to hang out with some guys, and I hit up this one guy, and he came over.We kissed and he wanted to touch me so I let him at first but then I changed my mind and said “stop” and he pushed my hands back and kept grabbing at me and he kept trying to advance me and I had to fight him off me and I almost screamed but I didn’t because I didn’t want my friends to get mad at me. It was scary; I act all hard and strong, but at the time I felt like anything could have happened to me, it was scary because I was not strong enough to push him off of me and it’s just scary that that could have happened to me. I got up and went and told my friends and they laughed it off and acted like it was nothing and joked about it. It makes me mad because what if that were you? And you are making a joke of it and having fun with it when something bad was actually about to happen to me.  They think it’s a joke but it’s not. I got away and took him home and didn’t talk to him anymore.”

Keelyn has conflicting emotions on the Me Too development, “I think it’s good they are finally getting it out there, but I don’t get why they didn’t do it before.”

Get it out there, don’t be scared, let people know that you shouldn’t be treated this way… you are better than that,” Keelyn says to future and current victims of sexual assault.

Unfortunately, many of the interviewed students admitted to feeling violated or uneasy in the very halls of ADM High School.

Jacob Pfiffner cannot recall the specific amount of times he has felt sexually harassed in his own school.

” I get touched a lot in the halls and it makes me feel uncomfortable. It’s by guys, girls, anybody that wants to, I guess. I’ve always said stop but nobody stops because they find it funny. “

Pfiffner believes those receiving the consequences of sexual misconduct, deserve it.

Jacob Pfiffner advises everyone to speak out and to make sure you are heard when doing so, make it public. But he believes fighting back will only lead to getting in trouble.

Kaitlyn McGee recalls a time during her freshman year when she was being followed around the building after school hours and met by a classmate who tried to kiss her without consent.

I ran for the hills. I thought, “Did I really just run away from a guy trying to do that to me? And a guy in my own grade, too.” I was kind of startled, to think someone would actually be in the school and think to do that or not ask if that was okay. I feel like if you have a guy that trying to kiss you that you don’t want them to, you should run away, explain to the guy that you don’t want that, tell someone you trust and maybe talk to someone.”

“I think it’s hard for them to do anything about it because it happened years ago, you need to have the confidence to tell them right then and there,” says McGee on the victims involved in the ‘Me Too’ movement.

Jesse Howard encountered an uncomfortable situation during school hours, in the hallway near her locker.

Last week, I was coming out of the bathroom during my 5th hour open and some guy younger than me did the whistling noise and I felt really uncomfortable because I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t really do anything, I just walked to my locker and it’s not like you can tell on someone for that and I wouldn’t anyways. I just kept walking and didn’t say anything and he did it a second time too. He was with two other friends and they were laughing and like saying “stop it”. He’s younger than me so maybe if he was older than I would maybe be wanting to tell someone- just depends on who you are as a person and plus I’m at school and I know these kids.”

I think it’s good that people are finally coming out because once they see that other people are coming out, they aren’t as scared and get more brave so I agree with it,” says Howard when asked on her feelings toward the crusade.

“I think it is important to let someone know, if it’s someone you know or a friend. If you really don’t feel comfortable- it’s important to tell because this happens to so many people and so many people don’t share and I feel like it’d be more powerful if others did share and tell and try to get help other than be quiet because it would share others to be strong and share,” advises Howard towards those struggling with sexual misconduct and future sufferers.

Carter Slater shares his story that involves his very own friends.

A couple of my classmates usually hit me or slap my butt. They repeatedly smack me even after I tell them to stop and harasses me about my friend who doesn’t go here and is vulgar about it. I just tell them to stop but usually they don’t. I don’t tell anyone how I feel because in their minds, they are joking.” 

Slater hopes those who are bothered by what they are going through, to speak up and tell someone they trust.

Cadie Van Langen’s story involved a different twist of events when she confided in trusting adults to assist her in handling the reoccurring situation.

There was a guy from school trying to get nudes from me, so he would send them to me and if I didn’t send them back, and he would get mad at me for it. He would start calling me names because I didn’t want to send them to him. He would send them to me and start talking really dirty. The guy who wanted pictures from me was calling me names which made me feel really bad and he was doing it to my friends too; I didn’t know what to do because I wanted to tell them what was happening to me, but I wanted to be there for them at the same time. I felt bad about myself and I felt like I wasn’t worth anything to him because he doesn’t even talk to me at school and we are not even really friends.”

When asked more about trusting in adults, Van Langen said, “I felt better telling my parents, they were able to step in and control it and it didn’t get to the point where he did anything else. It stopped and I feel like if I didn’t go to them, he would have kept going. It’s way more embarrassing if you get an adult involved.”

Van Langen believes the campaign is a great way to encourage other victims to come out about their stories.

Cadie Van Langen wants those with a story and those who could potentially have one in the future to stick with your “no”. No is the only thing you have. Speak up about it because they think that you are worth nothing.

Only nine students were interviewed about their stories, and each one had something to share. Imagine the untold ones residing within the people you sit next to in American Government or the ones hiding within those who educate you on a day to day basis. Take the time to inform yourself on this monumental time in history that we are living in and get inspired to speak up and share your truth. Encourage others to join you. Let’s come together and strive for justice and change.