• The Drake Relays are offering free general admission for the track and field day on 4/26
  • No School this Friday. 4/26
  • We have two up and coming college visits, check out your email for more information.
  • Applications for the Summer Media Journalism Internship are due May, 3rd
  • Tickets for prom are on sale now. View your email for information about purchasing.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Check in your email for Vounteer Club Opportunities
  • Don't forget to nominate students for character spots. Use the form in your email.
  • Submissions for ADM's Literary Magazine are due May 1st
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.

The ACT: To Take or Not to Take?

With testing season upon us, high school students are now faced with a large question: to take the ACT or not to take it?
A photo drawn by Carmen Schwalen, representing the feelings felt by high school students while thinking about the ACT.

Happy spring, otherwise known as the full swing of ACT and college testing season. Although daunting, the ACT has been something that high school students around the country have been taking for years, since 1959 to be exact. Since the great year of 1959 colleges have used the ACT to look at students’ readiness for college based on what they learned in high school. However, the ACT is no longer required for some colleges. So, is it that important to take now? Or is the ACT something that the world has moved past?

The ACT has been used for college admissions since the test was created in 1959, but is the method of testing really what colleges should be looking for? Or is the ACT improperly categorizing students regarding their intelligence based on a timed test? Where one student can excel in testing, another student could have severe testing anxiety.

Although the ACT may seem like a stressful time in any high school student’s life, some adults provide lots of good advice to students. ADM’s Superintendent, Greg Dufoe was asked for advice when it comes to the ACT. Not only did he have words of encouragement for students, but also great life advice.

One of Mr. Dufoe’s main pieces of advice can be applied to more than just the ACT. He said, “Do not compare your scores to others.” He also stated that “comparison is the enemy of happiness.” These are amazing words of advice for life as well as the ACT. Being proud of your accomplishments, especially when it comes to exams, is one of the hardest things to do when you are comparing yourself to others. No matter your score on a test, or anything else in life, learn to be proud of yourself.

Although colleges have been straying away from requiring the test for admissions, it is still widely taken with the hopes that students will receive scholarships to the schools they dream of attending. According to College Aid Pro, the average ACT score required for a full-ride scholarship is above 28. Although the National average is 19.5, earning a 28 may not be a far reach if you are willing to study for the tests. Improving your score on the ACT also may not be as hard as you think. According to the ACT’s website, students who retake the ACT are shown to improve their scores.

Some high school students go into the testing season with an ironed-out plan on how they are going to tackle the daunting task. Others simply “wing it.” A good example of someone who has a plan is Payton Taylor, a junior at ADM High School.

When asked why students should take the ACT Payton talked about how taking it will make students eligible for scholarships to help pay for college. Taylor’s plan is very straightforward with a goal in mind, she is taking the ACT a whopping 3 times. Taylor said, “The first time is for my baseline. The second time I’m focusing on two categories I struggled with. Third is my final category. I’m doing all of this to boost my overall super score.” Taylor is planning on attending college at Iowa State or Mizzou.

Whether you have a plan or no idea, the ACT is proven to be a beneficial tool when it comes to applying for college. Along with the stress of the ACT comes an overwhelming feeling of peace when you learn to be proud of yourself for completing the test, and the possibility of scholarships to your college. The best advice one can learn to take is the wise words of Mr. Dufoe, “Comparison is the enemy of happiness.” Learn to be proud of yourself and one another, and good luck on the testing season.