ADM FFA Storms Hilton

The Iowa State FFA Convention was held at the Iowa State University on April 18th and 19th where 10 ADM FFA students competed in their various CDE’s (contests). In order for students to qualify to compete at the state convention, they must have first placed high enough at both the sub-district and district levels. Students that qualified to compete were Emily Wilkerson in Individual Ag Sales; Madi Feller in Creed Speaking; an Ag Issues team that consisted of Noah Kouri, Kate Collins, Kaylee Wheeler, Katie Jimmerson, and Spencer Collins; and fAllie Wisgerhof competing in the Job Interview CDE. Students also competed the second day (April 19th) in the Farm Business Management Test and in the Greenhand Quiz. Caleb Weddle attended the convention and competed in the Farm Business Management test. Weddle also attended as an alternate in Ag Broadcasting.

“State convention is something that every FFA member should experience,” said Weddle. “It’s just crazy. There’s thousands of students walking around all wearing the same blue corduroy jacket that says where they’re all from. It’s pretty cool.”

The school brought approximately 20 FFA members to the state convention this year, with 10 competing and the other 10-15 attending exclusively for the experience. “We really try to take a lot of freshman up to Ames just because it’s such a neat experience for any FFA member, and everyone should experience it at least once in their FFA career,” Weddle said.

While at convention FFA members had the opportunity to not only compete but to attend up to four official FFA sessions, listen to keynote speakers, compete in FFA Idol, and attend the career fair. One of the highlights of the convention was experiencing ADM alumni Erica Baeir who is currently serving as the South Central District FFA Vice President speak in front of thousands of FFA members about her experiences. “She’s such an inspiration,” said Weddle “She’s the most passionate person I know.”

Erica Baier could also be found tearing it up on the dance floor at the FFA fun night hosted at Memorial Union. 

“Yeah, the dance was probably my favorite part of the whole thing. The ISU Line Dance Club was up on stage showing us how to do different line dances and after that they turned off the lights and it was just like a regular dance. It was probably better than prom!” said Weddle.

ADM FFA members took away several Gold ratings, a couple Silver ratings, and one Bronze from the state convention, but most of all they enjoyed themselves through the organization. Senior Allie Wisgerhof finished fourth in the State for personal interview and Madi Feller finished within the top 10 in Creed speaking.