• Seniors, your last day of school is May 17th.
  • We have two up and coming college visits, check out your email for more information.
  • Applications for the Summer Media Journalism Internship are due May, 3rd
  • Tickets for prom are on sale now. View your email for information about purchasing.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Check in your email for Vounteer Club Opportunities
  • Don't forget to nominate students for character spots. Use the form in your email.
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.
  • Job Posting: Computer Support Specialist with ADM Schools
  • Registration for Fall 2024 Dmacc Classes is Open

Play It Safe: Why Injury Prevention Matters for High School Athletes

Photo by Katelyn Priestley

When you step onto the field, court, or track, it’s all about having fun and doing your best. Staying safe while you play is also super important. Lately, there have been more injuries happening to high school athletes, so learning how to stay safe, is crucial for injury prevention.

Playing sports is awesome, right? But it’s even better when you can keep playing without getting hurt. If you avoid injuries, you get to enjoy your favorite sports for longer. Plus, it’s not just about having fun; it’s also about staying fit, learning teamwork, and becoming a better you. But, injuries can be costly too – they can mean doctor bills and lots of time off from playing. Our athletic trainer, Jennie Vedane, said, “The most common [injuries] are definitely ankle sprains, also a lot of general knee injuries as well.” So, let’s talk about some easy ways to stay safe.

I. Tips for Staying Safe

To stay safe and keep having fun in sports, here are some simple things to remember:

•  Get a checkup before your sports season starts. It’s like a health check to make sure you’re ready to play.
  •  Warm up before you start playing and cool down afterward. It’s like stretching before and after you run. Doing sport-specific stretches with muscles that you will later be using in a game or practice is a way to benefit the most from stretching.
  • Learn how to play your sport the right way. Your coaches can help with this.
  • Don’t overdo it – make sure you get enough rest between practices and games.
  • Proper nutrition gives you the right vitamins and minerals which helps to keep your bones strong
  • Conditioning – Vedane said, “Conditioning will also help prevent cramps.” Cramping is very common in sports, especially football, and preventing cramps before they happen can keep you in the game.
  • If you ever feel hurt, tell someone right away. It’s better to be safe and get help.
  • Wear the gear your sport needs, like helmets and pads. They are the extra layer of protection just in case something happens.
  • Eat good food and drink enough water – it keeps you strong and healthy.

II. What to do After You are Injured

One of the best tips that Vedane gave was the importance of strength and conditioning. She said one way to be able to return to your sport safely is “Strengthening the muscles that support the joints that we are having problems with.” For example, if you have a sprained ankle you need to make sure that the muscles that stabilize your ankle in your foot are strong. The muscles and ligaments surrounding the injury are just as important as the injury. They will support the injured area until it is fully healed. Many times, putting ice over the area can reduce swelling and is a great pain reliever. Compression is another way to prevent swelling and also gives additional support to the area. When asked what common misconceptions about injury prevention Vedane said, “A lot of the time people will think taping someone will make them invisible, or this tape will protect me. But that is not necessarily true, the tape only offers a little bit of support.” Although taping an ankle can temporarily help, it is necessary to use other recovery methods.

Remember, having fun in sports is awesome, but playing safely is just as important. By following these tips, you can have a blast, stay healthy, and keep pursuing your sports dreams without worrying about injuries. So go out there, play hard, and play safe!