Students Should Pay Attention To Current Events

Our world is constantly changing. Countries are going to war, people are starving, and yet it is apparent that our ADM students rarely encounter discussion of these things in school. In a recent twitter poll to ADM students I asked the question “How often do you feel that current events are implemented into your daily lessons at our school?” After twenty four hours open, it was revealed that 59% of students feel that current events are never a part of their daily lessons. This is extremely worrisome. If millennials do not have a knowledge of current events, how can they be expected to make any changes or improvements?

There is not an easier or more efficient way to insure student-aged citizens know of our world than to teach them during school hours. In this scenario, all students are together. This will promote discussion and debate from all different opinions and types of people. During these times, current events are addressed as well as debate and personal skills are built.

The war in Syria. Egyptian protests. Sex-trafficking. There is so much happening in our world that millennials are oblivious to. In a world that is always changing and swiftly progressing like a vast river, we all must either continue doggie-paddling or build a raft. It is part of our school’s duty to aid us in our personal growth and a large part of becoming an active member of society is knowing and understanding current events.