It’s Debatable

Debate Club is a new outlet for students who are interested in discussing current events and issues. It offers opportunities to research the topics that students choose, become more aware of what the current issues are in our society and have a way to talk about those issues with other people and also hear other people’s perspectives.

“I think that respectful debate–meaning it does not gets too emotional–is an intellectual exercise for people,” said Molly Longman, Debate Club Sponsor.  “It is good for people to hear others opinions and consider them carefully, but then still be able to come back and have your own strong opinion and know why your opinions are what they are.”

The club was started because of student interest.

“I had a group of sophomores who begged me to lead this,” Longman said.

Starting on February 11, Debate Club is going to meet every Thursday after school during 9th hour. Right now Debate Club is recreational, and they hope to continue meeting each week for the rest of the year.

The first time Debate Club met, they discussed year-round school calendars. There were 18 students at the initial meeting, half for year-round school; half against it. Longman felt like there was a really good debate about the topic.

There is a suggestion box for the club which is going to be passed around every meeting and if anyone wants to suggest a topic they can just write it on a piece of the paper, put it in the box and if the topic is approved with other members of the club, they will discuss it.

The Debate Club is open for anybody who wants to join, they can meet in Room 111 and join in the conversation.