To Go Online, Or Not To Go Online: The Modern Day Dilemma

The process of trying to join a Google Meet, otherwise known as online school.

“To be, or not to be? That is the question” (Hamlet). Though that quote was made many, many years ago, and it didn’t deal with the idea of online learning, it has the same struggle. To learn online, or not to learn online? Many schools in Iowa have reached the maximum capacity of students out of in-school learning with Covid-19. Governor Kim Reynolds has largely left it up to the school administration to decide when to go online fully, or to bring students home for hybrid learning. Though it’s up to the administration, the students have a few thoughts on what the school should do.

Nathan Kroeger has a few words to say on the subject. He believes that even though you get less work done when you’re learning over a computer, he would rather be “online because I don’t wanna [sic] die from Covid.” Nathan’s not the only one with some thoughts about online schooling. Shaelyn Wiederien says that she would rather do online learning because “my dog won’t give me Covid, so I’m gonna [sic] just stay with her.” It appears that students at ADM are becoming increasingly afraid of the global pandemic, and of the effects that it could have on them and their families.

Recently, Dallas Center Grimes school district reached maximum capacity. The administration decided to continue in-person schooling, even though the danger of students catching the virus is higher due to the capacity.

No one is being forced to attend in-person school, at Adel. On the school website, it states that “Families enrolled at ADM may choose not to attend on-site learning during the 2020-21 school year and may enroll for remote learning.” The school is allowing families and students to decide every nine weeks if they would like to enroll online, but many students won’t go fully online unless forced to by the law or by the administration.