While: The Corona Virus Impact

Don't take the little things in life for granted.

March 18, 2020

Photo by Olivia Klassen

The friend group crying after discovering we are off from school for four weeks. Because of the Covid-19 epidemic.

With the surge of the Covid-19 pandemic and the mandatory quarantine and leave of school for four weeks, I feel angry. 2020 is my senior year and I’m losing all the best parts, hanging out with friends, seeing my teachers before I leave for college, Prom, and quite possibly a graduation ceremony. I don’t look at this 4 weeks as an extra spring break or time away from school, I’m saddened and broken knowing that my senior year is being cut short while the juniors still get to attend ADM next year and live a full senior year.

During the quarantine I have also lost my job since the Waukee community school district has also closed I have lost out of four weeks of pay and happiness. I am not going to see my before and after school kids, until April 13th (hopefully). If school were to cancel the rest of the academic year, I would most likely breakdown and sob, The best part of my day is seeing my kids and bringing joy to their lives and the fact that I can’t do that is hurting me deeply. My kids have earned a very special place in my heart and I would do anything and I mean anything to see them succeed and become successful in their lives.

The hardest part about this whole thing is not having my teachers support me and continue to push me every day and it’s so hard waking up knowing that I have so much time until I can finally see them again (again hopefully). I hope the general public is learning that school so much more than just a place of learning. It’s a place of safety and support for students from all different backgrounds, it’s a source of food for those families that are poorer and will wonder where their next meal is going to come from.

I can just hope that this epidemic passes and I will get to enjoy my last prom, enjoy walking across that stage, getting to say goodbye to my teachers. I can just hope my fellow seniors get to participate in their spring and summer sports, I can hope we all are able to move into our prospective colleges next fall. Living in the time of uncertainty is awful and should remind us to be contagious with kindness and help the people around us or support them with whatever they’re dealing with.

Some Last Minute Safety Tips

• Disinfect surfaces around your home and work
  • Wash your hand for at least 20 seconds
  • Cover your sneeze and coughs
  • Practice social distancing