Advice to Seniors: How to be a Freshman Again

Photo by Jesse Howard

Lauren gave the advice on study habits and to always keep up with your school work.

Photo by Jesse Howard
Cash Riker’s advice for everyone: Be yourself.

Typically, incoming college freshman wouldn’t go to high school freshman as their first source of advice about what they need to know before their status returns to “freshman” again next year. Being a senior in high school, you might have forgotten how to be a freshman.

Because I was worried about being a freshman in college next fall, I went out to grab advice from two bright freshmen here at ADM: Lauren Logue and Cash Riker.

Study habits are what most incoming freshmen are worried about the most, not knowing how hard class may be. Logue’s advice was, “Make sure to always take notes and be prepared for the class. Through freshman year I definitely had to study a lot more than what I expected.”

Although studying and school work is your main priority in school, having solid relationships with your fellow classmates is always important. Upperclassman can be intimidating, and gaining their respect and friendship is important.

Riker explained, “Treat older classmates with respect, but if they’re being stupid you can still call them out. I learned that upperclassman, even if it doesn’t seem like it sometimes, they really do care.”

Lastly, it is important to always stay true to yourself. This is, in my opinion, the most important step to take as a freshman. Being the youngest and starting over can be scary, but you learn who your true friends are through being nothing besides yourself. “Be yourself but don’t overstep your bounds,” said Riker.