• Early Out Thursday 3/14

• Early Out Tuesday 3/12

• NO SCHOOL ON FRIDAY !!!!!!!!!

• Congratulations to FFA members who competed at District FFA Convention in Indianola.

• Seniors don't report to school till 8:45 on Friday

Filed under Opinion

No’s and Go’s with Prom Dates

Back to Article
Back to Article

No’s and Go’s with Prom Dates

The promposal disaplyed on Twitter was set up by Nick when he texted Sydney to warn her that he would be asking her to prom over social media. 

Sydney says her ideal prom date is someone who is going to be willing to do whatever and have a good time!

The promposal disaplyed on Twitter was set up by Nick when he texted Sydney to warn her that he would be asking her to prom over social media. Sydney says her ideal prom date is someone who is going to be willing to do whatever and have a good time!

As a senior with three proms under my belt, I have learned a thing or five about the type of individual that would make a fine date to accompany you to your prom and the type who should just stay at home for that night.

This particular article pertains to everyone, even if you are engaged in a relationship with your significant other because maybe, just maybe, you are here due to the fact that you are concerned about their ability to act appropriate in a public setting or desire a different date.

In my specific situation, I procrastinated per usual and realized last minute that I had nothing done- a dress, a group, a date, nothing, nada. One friend made plans with me to create a girl’s group but plans fell through when not a single individual from that group wanted to attend prom. A friend took me in and attempted to help my dilemma but South Dakota had a blizzard that weekend so no South Dakota boy. At last, a third party came in clutch, took me under her wing, and found me a date who she knew through mutual friends.

My mistake was trusting a boy, whom I’ve never met, to escort me at prom in a respectful, civilized manner.

This is where tip one comes in… I would avoid inviting someone you don’t know or have never met before- there is no telling if they are going to represent you well or not.

For the past few proms, I would select a person, whom I cared what they thought of me, as my date. While that is all fine and dandy, I felt the need to impress and to avoid making a fool out of myself. I evolved into a more timid version of myself. I encourage you to pick an individual that makes you feel comfortable in your own skin- someone you can let loose and just have fun with.

It is not a secret that prom is far more stressful for girls than it is for guys… at this point, it is just a fact. One year, my shoes were designed to look similar to ballerina shoes, just in high heel form. They would not stay up for anything or anyone- I taped them, I tightened them, I double-knotted, I triple-knotted, I just about stapled them to my legs. My attitude was at an all time high there for a while, but it could have been worse if my date couldn’t handle my stress. When going through your contact list to remind you of who is out there, click on the name of someone who can remain level-headed in stressful situations.

Prom is just another high school dance so do not stress over it too much but taking the following advice, bringing who you know, choosing someone you can be yourself around, and picking a person who puts up with a little sass, can really go a long way.

This advice can apply to selecting a groom or bride as well.