The Student Body’s Opinion on Adel’s Mayoral Election

Adel DeSoto Minburn Alumni Carter Nordman (Republican), has launched his first public political campaign for the position of mayor for the city of Adel. Mayor James “Jim” Peters (Democrat), the incumbent, is seeking re-election for his 14th consecutive two-year term.

On November 7, 2017, eligible citizens, 18 years of age or older, and residents within the Adel city limits will be able to vote for mayor.

Mayor Peters is basing his campaign on the fact that he is experienced in this position, while DMACC student Carter Nordman is using change as his persuading factor.

Earlier this week, a poll was conducted within ADM High School with eligible voters who were then asked which candidate has their support and why.

The majority of the respondents favored candidate Nordman. The reason ranged from the familiarity with him to his political affiliation. Some students are intrigued with the idea of change and a fresh, new mayor and believe Mayor Peters has been in office for too long.

Others prefer Mayor Peters due to the experience he possesses in office which could be valuable during these times in Adel. The students voice concern over the tax abatement and the water shortage that has been contributed to the rapid expansion in the past few years. Abby Jacobsen said, “Carter is incompetent and too young- this is a trying and difficult time in Adel right now and we need someone who knows what they are doing.”

Most voters knew who they wanted immediately but others are stuck in the middle because of concerns they have about each of the candidates. Is Carter Nordman ready for this? Is Jim Peters effective? The people will have the opportunity to answer these questions for themselves on November 7 at the Adel Public Library, 303 S 10th St. Polls will be open from 7 am to 8 pm.

Mayor Peters is running for re-election for a 14th term.

Carter Nordman is running for the position of mayor for the city of Adel.