Why We Need to Change How We Handle Threats

Photo by Rachel Suarez

The new security camera in the high school.

On Friday, October 6th, a bomb threat took place at ADM High School and Middle School.

At the beginning of the school year, my fellow students and I, along with the staff were instructed to locate themselves in the field behind the school if an issue this serious were to occur. Last Friday, we were told to evacuate the school onto the field. That is not a logical plan.

The first problem is if the perpetrator of the bomb threat or school shooting was a student, that person would know where we are all located. This is setting us all up for failure.

So, how can we fix this issue? The administration has already taken it one step further by placing security cameras outside of the school, but this will not stop someone with a gun.

The student that is deranged enough to do this would probably be sneaky about it. He or she would have to secretly bring a weapon to school.

As a school, the best way to make sure everyone is safe, is to take this more seriously.

Placing metal detectors in the doorways to entering the building is the best way to stop weapons from coming in.

Some students may disagree with this idea. We do not know enough about metal detectors to know if they would always pick up something dangerous. Also, if it was a weird hour of the day, and a student did bring in a weapon, there are not enough people in this school to manage what is being brought in.

This is a good idea to have because the cameras would catch the person who brought in the weapon. Also, the detectors would make students more aware of what they are bringing into the building and it would prevent it overall.

ADM is a school with many good students and staff of good character. It is hard to believe anyone would do something this extreme. The event that happened on Friday really opened my eyes, along with the rest of the school.

If we, as a school could take this all one step further towards a safer environment, an incident like Friday’s would be even less likely to occur.