Student Participants Announced for Selway Bitterroot Wilderness Trek

Students+will+experience+this+beauty+over+the+summer.+This+image+was+taken+by+Marissa+Meadowcroft%2C+a+student+participant+on+the+trip+last+year.+

Students will experience this beauty over the summer. This image was taken by Marissa Meadowcroft, a student participant on the trip last year.

On May 5, four ADM students were notified they will be participating in the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness Trek beginning on July 23 and returning August 2. These students are senior Loren Ritter, junior Rachel Suarez, junior Dakota Jones and sophomore Nolan Harsh.

Students who applied attended an informational meeting, which Ritter stated, “Really drew us in.” Once applicants submitted their essay questions and references, they conducted interviews with Chris Adkins, one of the leaders of this trek. Suarez added her interview was “lax and comfortable.”

“I’m most excited for the experience it’s going to bring me because I barely leave the state of Iowa. Also, to take away who I am as a person without everyday life,” Ritter stated.

Harsh is excited to visit somewhere that is so untouched by man. “I’m excited to see what it’s really like.”

Harsh was drawn into the Idaho trip because he heard from his brother and past participants how truly amazing it is. “I think it’s really cool I got chosen.” Suarez has one thing she’s excited for, and that’s nature. Jones decided to apply for the trip because she had always talked about it with Suarez. Jones is most excited to meet new people.

Suarez has one thing she’s excited for, and that’s nature. Jones decided to apply for the trip because she had always talked about it with Suarez. Jones is most excited to meet new people.

Jones decided to apply for the trip because she had always talked about it with Suarez. Jones is most excited to meet new people.

Twelve students from Dallas County will be participating. They will meet for the first time as a group at Kuehn Conservation Area on June 8. While the students are there, they will receive a pack and work around the park. They will also determine their meal plan for their ten-day excursion.