Fear Tiger Cheer

Sophomore+Mattie+DeVore+shows+off+her+new+uniform.+%28Photo+courtesy+of+Hope+Shield.%29+

Sophomore Mattie DeVore shows off her new uniform. (Photo courtesy of Hope Shield.)

This cheer season is bringing a lot more to the mat than high bows and sparkly pom poms. Each week, the Varsity Competition Cheer team practices twice for two hours at a time, with an additional open gym on Sunday, one team meal and a football game.

They are not only looking to improve their score at State from third place to either second or first place, but they also want to improve student involvement. They are working extra hard this season to achieve their goals, and are hoping to get younger cheerleaders excited about trying out for High School cheer.

“My favorite part about cheer is the practices, because of the way the girls bond as a team, they become like a second family,” said Kaitlyn Ferm, head cheer coach. “I think the team enjoys performing the best; just being out in front of the crowd, doing what they love to do. They really show the crowd cheerleading is more than just waving pom poms and cheering at a game.”

The competition cheer team has seventeen members this year: three freshmen, three sophomores, ten juniors and one senior. They are excited to wear their new uniforms on Friday nights and to get a few people from the student section at each game to use their brand new field runner.

A field runner is a tall customized flag, that typically a student or cheerleader will run across the football field with during the game to raise school spirit. ADM’s field runner says ‘Welcome to The Jungle.’ You can find them decking out the school with spirited posters, chanting new cheers at football games and perfecting their routines after school.

“We want to do everything we can to represent ADM in a good way,” said Ferm. Be sure to check out the apparel and tattoos they are selling at football games and to go out and support these ladies hard work.