• Support the Softball and Baseball teams this summer as they look to go to state
  • Boys Golf wins the State Championship for the first time in school history
  • Girls Track wins State Champion title for the first time in school history
  • eSports finishes in 2nd place @State.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.
  • Job Posting: Computer Support Specialist with ADM Schools
  • Registration for Fall 2024 Dmacc Classes is Open
  • Follow our Black & Redgister TikTok @blackandredgister
  • See what goes into a news site at @BLACKANDREDGISTER on Instagram

Janssen: “You must be the change you want to see in the world”

We have the power to influence others. be the change that you want to see happen in our world.
Photo by Jorja Janssen

The influence we can inflict can, at times, be amazing, knowing that you have the power to changes someone’s mind, opinion, actions, day, week, month. It can almost be overwhelming, but overwhelming in a good way. Knowing that you really can make a difference. We’ve been told since the time we were in kindergarten and every year on that we can make a difference, we can be the change. I, as many, mostly didn’t believe it. How could I, silly little me, make a difference? How can I be the change the world needs? But that isn’t what they meant. You don’t need to change the world for it to count. You just need to influence one person, and that influence can spread and reach the rest of the world. Influence can make a big impact, and that’s exactly what I set out to do.

I have been in News Journalism now for two years, and it’s been the best two years of my life. I enjoy this class, I enjoy the happiness it brings me, the laughter it brings, the challenges it brings, the people it brings. This class has taught me so much over the past two years: it has taught me how to write like a journalist, how to interview as a journalist, how to open myself up to people I wouldn’t normally talk to, how to be an extrovert. But most importantly it taught me that I have the power to influence others.

Last year I was genuinely so excited for this class. I finally had an outlet where I could share my love for writing and I did exactly that. I wrote book talks, reviews, opinions, how-to’s, but I never wrote any informational pieces or news pieces. Coming into my senior year I decided that I was going to leave this school with something of significance, I wanted to make a change, to influence and edify the students and future students of ADM High School. I focused my writing this year on informational pieces, making I was writing one each month. I wrote stories on getting pulled over, skincare secrets and tips, the mysterious dog virus, National Honor Society, motivational quotes. My goal this year was to influence at least on person through my writing, just one person would make all of this worth it. If I changed one person or influenced or educated just one person I could be fulfilled leaving this school.

I will forever be greatful for this class and all it has taught me. This class has allowed and propelled me to become the person I am today.  But most importantly I am greatful for the opportunity this class has given me to influence my comrades and my community. Influence is a funny thing, you never know what will truly speak to people and what won’t. I will continue to take what I have been given the chance to learn and carry it with me as I move on in life. I want to continue to influence others and ignite change in the world, and if I cannot reach the world I want to spark others to bring about change in their own world. I encourage others, take the advice, your teachers were right, you can influence others, you can be the change the worlds needs, it just starts with you.

I am and will forever be indebted to this class.