My Thoughts on House Study Bill 587

Land of the free…?
The American Flag hangs in every classroom at ADM High School. Students are encouraged stand and face the flag every morning as the Pledge of Allegiance is recited.
Photo by Delaney Kahler

A new bill being proposed to the Iowa House would require students in grades 1-12 to sing one verse of the Star-Spangled Banner in addition to reciting the Pledge of Allegiance every morning. According to the Iowa Legislature, House Study Bill 587 would not mandate students to sing but it would require students to stand during the rendition of the nation’s song.

Upon first hearing of this new proposition, I had very little concerns. I am all for celebrating your country in honorary ways, but when I put further thought into this bill, it began to rub me the wrong way. First of all, I began wondering who would be the one to sing it in the mornings because the bill seemed to state that a pre-recorded version of it couldn’t just simply be played over the speakers– someone would have to be singing live. I may be biased because I am the one to recite the Pledge of Allegiance over the school intercom most mornings, but the thought of singing one of the most vocally straining songs for all my classmates to hear immediately sends me into a panic. I feel that finding someone willing to put themselves in a vulnerable position and sing for hundreds to hear will be close to impossible.

I also began to think about the First Amendment. By requiring students to stand, I believe that you are violating freedom of speech. In sporting events and patriotic occasions alike, no one is required by law to stand during the playing of the National Anthem. This would make students and teachers susceptible to punishment if they refuse to stand. I think the great part of the United States is the fact that everyone is allowed to have their own opinions and thoughts, so why are we forcing people to accommodate one group of Republicans’ beliefs?

In addition to the singing of the anthem, this bill would require teachers to delve into the lyrics of the song and teach that as part of their curriculum. I know that the representatives in favor of this law haven’t been in an active classroom in recent years, but I have. Teachers already struggle to fit all of their curriculum in one calendar school year. I presume this additional workload will be very strenuous on teachers and cause times of stress as they scurry to reform their classroom teachings.

Going along with these concerns, I also happened to consider the fact that singing the nation’s most sacred song every morningĀ might dim the light on its importance. Since the pledge has been introduced every morning at ADM, people hardly even register it as happening anymore. Students stand robotically and drift off in their thoughts while the pledge is being recited. Barely anyone says the words, so what makes lawmakers and schools believe that students will be enthusiastic to speak andĀ sing all within a short span of ten minutes?

Overall, I get what they’re trying to do, but I am not totally sure I am in line with House Study Bill 587. Let’s keep the National Anthem special and continue to only play it on patriotic occasions and before sporting events.

I love America; however, I don’t love this.