• The Drake Relays are offering free general admission for the track and field day on 4/26
  • No School this Friday. 4/26
  • We have two up and coming college visits, check out your email for more information.
  • Applications for the Summer Media Journalism Internship are due May, 3rd
  • Tickets for prom are on sale now. View your email for information about purchasing.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Check in your email for Vounteer Club Opportunities
  • Don't forget to nominate students for character spots. Use the form in your email.
  • Submissions for ADM's Literary Magazine are due May 1st
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.

Snowboarding for Beginners (As a Beginner)

Mallory+and+Katy+warming+up+inside+the+lodge+at+Seven+Oaks+after+snowboarding+in+the+below+freezing+temperatures.+Make+sure+to+wear+many+layers+when+you+are+snowboarding+so+you+can+keep+your+muscles+warm+to+prevent+injuries.+
Mallory and Katy warming up inside the lodge at Seven Oaks after snowboarding in the below freezing temperatures. Make sure to wear many layers when you are snowboarding so you can keep your muscles warm to prevent injuries.

If you’ve ever been snowboarding before, you probably remember your first time. For most people, it’s not very easy to be a beginner. I am going to share some tips that will hopefully help you the next time you are on the slopes.

Equipment: The first thing you will need to do when you start snowboarding is find the right equipment. When you are picking out a snowboard, make sure that it is fit for your height and weight. A good rule of thumb is when standing up, the snowboard should be to your chin. Your snowboard should most likely work well if that’s the case. If you are renting a snowboard, the board should already have bindings on it, so they aren’t something you should have to worry about. The bindings are what is going to clip your boots onto your board. If you are bringing your own board, you want to make sure not to forget them. Next is your boots. You just want to make sure that you get snowboarding boots, and that they fit snugly into your bindings. Wearing a helmet is optional, but it is a good choice when it comes to your own safety. Finally, the last piece of equipment you need is goggles. Snowboarding goggles have a variety of lenses depending on the weather, and sun, so make sure to pick accordingly. Don’t forget to bring a nice coat, a pair of gloves, and snow pants. Wearing layers is the best way to stay warm while being outside for an extended amount of time. Along with layers, try avoiding cotton as a base layer, as it absorbs sweat, making you feel colder. I would recommend bringing hand warmers to put in your gloves, and toe warmers to put on your socks on very cold days. They can make a world of difference.

Getting started: Once you have all of your equipment on and are prepared, you are ready to hit the slopes. This is when you should remember to have a lot of patience with yourself and stay calm. Getting frustrated is going to make the learning process a lot harder. Start by clipping in your leading foot in the first binding. You need to keep your other foot out so you can move from one place to another. To move, push off with your back leg, keeping your leading foot in the binding. Then you can keep taking steps, and you should be able to slide along the snow. If you have enough momentum, you can rest your back foot on the board, letting yourself glide.

Going downhill: Once you can maneuver around, you can start going down the hill. When you are at the top of the hill, you will need to sit down and clip in your other foot. Your leading foot should still be clipped into the binding. It will stay there the whole time. Once you have both feet clipped in, you are ready. Your board is going to want to start sliding down the hill, so keep it horizontal while standing up. I would recommend digging the back edge of your board into the snow. That way it’s less easy to start sliding when you’re not ready. It might take a while to get up and get your balance, so don’t get discouraged. You are bound to fall a lot when learning how to snowboard, so before you fall, make a fist when catching yourself to protect your wrist. When you start down the hill, you want to keep your hips back. This part is a very good mental challenge because when you feel unbalanced, your brain naturally tells you to throw your hips forward which is only going to make you fall. When you feel balanced enough, you are going to use your leading foot to turn in different directions, leaning one way or the other. The first couple of times you go down the hill, you should keep your board horizontal, and only go from one side to the other. When you are feeling more confident, you can move your board vertically, which will make you travel down faster. When you do this, turn your board back horizontally when you reach the bottom of the hill to come to a stop.

Safety: It’s very important to remember safety while on the slopes. You want to keep yourself and others safe while also having fun, so there are just a few things you should keep in mind. If there is someone in front of you, they have the right of way, so keep yourself at a safe distance. You should always keep your head on a swivel and be mindful of those around you. When you are approaching the bottom of a hill, slow down and control your speed– you don’t want to take out anyone who’s at the bottom of the hill. Finally, pay attention when you are entering the lift, so you go at the right time. To get off the lift, turn your board vertically, push off the seat, and rest your back foot on the board to glide down.

Hopefully, some of these tips will help the next time you go on a snowboarding trip. The best thing you can do is have patience with yourself and keep calm. Getting worked up and nervous is going to make it a lot harder, so just stay calm and remember, make a fist and protect your wrist.