• The Drake Relays are offering free general admission for the track and field day on 4/26
  • No School this Friday. 4/26
  • We have two up and coming college visits, check out your email for more information.
  • Applications for the Summer Media Journalism Internship are due May, 3rd
  • Tickets for prom are on sale now. View your email for information about purchasing.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Check in your email for Vounteer Club Opportunities
  • Don't forget to nominate students for character spots. Use the form in your email.
  • Submissions for ADM's Literary Magazine are due May 1st
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.

Exile Snowglobe Restaurant: A Review

The+lights+are+glowing+inside+the+walls+of+Exile+along+with+their+variety+of+other+decorations.+
The lights are glowing inside the walls of Exile along with their variety of other decorations.

Let me start by saying that if you haven’t been to this restaurant, you might want to put it on your list to try sometime. Exile opened in 2012 and has successfully been open ever since. It’s located in Downtown Des Moines and is open year-round Tuesday through Sunday. They may be open all year round, but I would definitely recommend taking a visit at or near Christmas time. Exile decorates their restaurant as a real-life snow globe. They hang decorations to cover the walls and ceiling, leaving no space blank, and arrange their menu to have Christmas specials. 

Service: First up, let’s talk about the service at the snowglobe. When you get to the restaurant, the staff is very welcoming and friendly. You are greeted when you enter the restaurant and are led by a hostess to your table. Make sure you have reservations a while in advance, as spots fill up very quickly. With a reservation, you are able to be seated when you get there. The waiting staff makes haste to get your orders in, so you don’t have to wait long at all for your food. 

Food: Leading from there, the food is 10/10. They have many appetizers to start you off with, some of which I tried– fried Brussels sprouts and the exile fries. As someone who does not like Brussels sprouts, these ones were surprisingly good. They may not be something I order again, but if you like Brussels sprouts, you’ll have to give them a try. Along with this, I also tried the exile fries. I don’t think you can really go wrong with fries. Aside from regular fries, the Exile fries are fried in truffle oil, then tossed in mixed herbs, parmesan, and truffle aioli. These fries take it to the next level making them different from something you could order at a typical restaurant. Moving on to their main dishes, they have a lot to choose from. Their menu includes unique burgers, chicken sandwiches, wraps, many different salads and even a Seared Salmon Salad, fish and chips, smoked Mac and cheese, rib tacos, bacon-wrapped meatloaf and so much more. I chose to try the buffalo chicken bowl which consisted of mashed potatoes, fried chicken, white cheddar, creamy buffalo, corn salsa, and green onion. Overall, this dish was really good and I would give it a 10/10. Many of their items are unique to the restaurant and they aren’t something you are going to be able to find anywhere else. 

My impression: My overall impression of this restaurant was great. My family and I had a great dining experience and had no complaints. Parking can be tricky outside of the restaurant, so I would recommend arriving at a decent time. Also, make sure to have a reservation so you are able to get in, as they are usually fully booked. Exile will open again next November as the “snowglobe” if you would like to experience a little bit of Christmas magic during your next holiday season.