• The Drake Relays are offering free general admission for the track and field day on 4/26
  • No School this Friday. 4/26
  • We have two up and coming college visits, check out your email for more information.
  • Applications for the Summer Media Journalism Internship are due May, 3rd
  • Tickets for prom are on sale now. View your email for information about purchasing.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Check in your email for Vounteer Club Opportunities
  • Don't forget to nominate students for character spots. Use the form in your email.
  • Submissions for ADM's Literary Magazine are due May 1st
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.

ADM Sport Superstitions

According to Google, the definition of superstition is, “a widely held but unjustified belief in supernatural causation leading to certain consequences of an action or event, or a practice based on such a belief.” To put it in simpler terms, a superstition is a belief in doing a specific action for good luck or to prevent a negative outcome of an event. Superstitions are most commonly seen in athletes, so I went around ADM to hear directly from our student-athletes if they have any.

Celie Gardiner, Girls Golf, senior: takes a liquid IV and Snickers bar before every meet, as well as rotates between different Sharpies to use on her golf balls.

Hudson Lorensen, Boys Basketball, sophomore: wears the same shoes for every game.

Lauren Hagedorn, Softball, sophomore: does the Hokey Pokey as a team before every game.

Makayla Crannell, Girls Track, senior: prays before every meet and wears the same necklace for every race.

Aniston Tollari, Girls Basketball, junior: dances to the Cha Cha Slide as a team before games.

Tori Schmidt, Lacrosse, senior: during Tori’s freshman year, she did not cut her toenails from January to May, but ended up losing their final game and quitting that superstition. “Now I always have fruit snacks for halftime and must listen to free bird on the way to games.”

Madi James, Volleyball, junior: wears the same knee pad on the same knee and puts left shoe on before right.

Grant Jansen, Baseball, junior: has the same warm-up before pitching and always eats a PB&J and apple before games.

Devin Gelhaar, Football, sophomore: eats pizza the day before a game.

Tatum Schmitz, Girls Soccer, senior: always gets a nap in before a game, even if it’s on the bus.

Delaney Kahler, Girls Golf, senior: hits only one shot of each club at the range before a meet.

Aiden Flora, Football, senior: “I go somewhere and talk to God for about 5 minutes before and after games.”

Some students not named above responded that they don’t have any superstitions, rather they just go with the flow. The counterargument to superstitions is the mental block that comes with it. People may assume that a game or event will go wrong if they don’t partake in their own ritual or traditions beforehand, even though it’s not scientifically proven. However, games seem to go better WITH superstitions, but it might just be helping boost personal confidence. So does it actually create an effect on future outcomes, or is it just luck?