• The Drake Relays are offering free general admission for the track and field day on 4/26
  • No School this Friday. 4/26
  • We have two up and coming college visits, check out your email for more information.
  • Applications for the Summer Media Journalism Internship are due May, 3rd
  • Tickets for prom are on sale now. View your email for information about purchasing.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Check in your email for Vounteer Club Opportunities
  • Don't forget to nominate students for character spots. Use the form in your email.
  • Submissions for ADM's Literary Magazine are due May 1st
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.

Low Tech Things to Do for Fun

Stuck inside this winter? Put down your screens and try these low-tech things to do for fun.

The winter months can feel grueling to get through. Especially when you’re trapped at home with an abundance of snow on the streets, finding something to do that occupies your time can be tricky. It’s easiest to spend your extra time scrolling on social media; however, this can have many downsides. Although we won’t get into specific cons of screen time, spending all day scrolling can harm your well-being and mental health. This is why it’s important to restrict the amount of time spent staring at a screen. I am going to give you some ideas to help you beat boredom and limit screen time. Believe it or not, there are some things you can do to beat winter boredom.

Coloring: Now I know this is such a basic activity but it is truly so much fun, in my opinion. There is nothing better than going to the store and picking out a new set of markers along with a coloring book. You could even consider free drawing or using old coloring books. Coloring is such a good way to relieve stress. Not only does it relieve stress but it also can boost your mood.

Unsolved Case Files: If you’re a true crime addict like myself, this game will have you hooked. In case you’re not familiar with Unsolved Case Files, it is like a puzzle where you try and solve a murder mystery. You are assigned the role of the detective and are given clues/evidence. You are told who the witnesses and the suspects are to help you solve the mystery. Your goal is to figure out exactly what happened and determine who is guilty. This game sets your boundaries and pushes you farther than you think you can. You won’t find yourself focusing on anything else except the task at hand.

Reading a Book: Such a simple but fulfilling way to spend extra time. Sometimes we get caught up in trying to come up with something extravagant to cure our boredom. We often forget the comfort of doing something like curling into a warm blanket, grabbing a snack and diving into a good book.

Make Jewelry: You likely have an old bead set just lying around the house that hasn’t been touched in years. You might as well put it to good use and make something for yourself or someone else. If you don’t have beads lying around the house, for a cheaper option, you could go to a second-hand store and buy old necklaces or bracelets. You could cut up these old pieces of jewelry and mix/match them into your style.

Baking: This is such a great way to fill your time while also doing something nice for someone else. Explore different recipes from the old cookbook sitting around in your kitchen. Chances are, it might have been ages since the cookbook has last seen the daylight. You could also consider reaching out to a grandparent or a family member to get a childhood recipe. This is a good way to have a conversation with a loved one while also making a good treat.

Go Thrifting: Although you can’t necessarily do this activity when there is snow on the streets, this is always a go-to activity for when you can get out of the house. There is something special about going to stores and looking at old objects that are filled with memories. Even if you don’t find something you want to buy, there is still a lot of fun that can be had by just looking around. Think about visiting multiple second-hand stores to get the full thrifting experience.

Journaling: There are so many benefits to journaling. I know it can be so intimidating to start journaling but it legitimately does not have to be anything fancy. The journals or supplies you use do not have to be expensive. You can start journaling by simply using the supplies around your house. Let go of the judgment and only think about writing for yourself. Just write down the things you want to get off your chest. An easy way to start could be coming up with goals for yourself and getting them down on paper or recording a list of things you are grateful for. Remember, there are no rules for journaling. You are doing this for yourself to see and for yourself only.

Next time you’re sitting around the house with no plans, consider trying out one of these activities. The best part about most of these options is that you can do most of them alone. You don’t need to have a huge group of friends or anyone at all to have fun. Although you’ve probably heard of most of the ideas on the list, it can be so easy to overlook the fun in these activities. Simplicity is sometimes what brings out the best in us.