• The Drake Relays are offering free general admission for the track and field day on 4/26
  • No School this Friday. 4/26
  • We have two up and coming college visits, check out your email for more information.
  • Applications for the Summer Media Journalism Internship are due May, 3rd
  • Tickets for prom are on sale now. View your email for information about purchasing.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Check in your email for Vounteer Club Opportunities
  • Don't forget to nominate students for character spots. Use the form in your email.
  • Submissions for ADM's Literary Magazine are due May 1st
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.

ADM Wrestling: No Seniors, No Problem

The new 2023-2024 wrestling season has something ADM wrestling has not seen before. No seniors.

Chris Rupe has been with the wrestling program at ADM since 2017 but was named the head coach in April of 2022. When Rupe was asked how he felt the season was going, he explained that it’s not just about a record for him and that he is seeing clear improvements from last season. The Tigers returned to multiple tournaments that they have participated in in past years and have not necessarily come out on top but are moving in the right direction.

Rupe stated, “Glenwood, a tournament we had this past weekend, last year we scored 91 points and this year we scored 101 points. . . .We went from a 7th place finish to a 5th place finish.”

Rupe understands the obstacles that a single season can throw at a team but he seems impressed with the way things are going so far without any seniors. He said, “That’s with younger guys in the room and I think that’s promising, anytime you have a young team there is going to be growing pains.” Everyone knows leadership on a team is essential. This leadership usually stems from those who have been in a specific program or position for a long time: typically seniors.

When Rupe was asked if the lack of senior leadership on the team had any effect, he said, “By design of that we have had a lot of young guys step up. You could look at Grayson Sutter, Jon Hatchitt, Karver Sutton, and even Ethan Johnson and Landon Morehead. Those are some juniors, sophomores and some freshmen.”

ADM finding success this season is rooted in these wrestlers fitting into that leadership role. When Jon Hatchitt was asked how he felt about having no seniors on the team and what that means for the team moving forward, he said, “I think it has created us to be the underdogs because we don’t have any leadership so we are out there with nothing to lose so it gives us something to strive for. . . . As a junior, I am more of the next man up. I have stepped in using my knowledge to help the younger guys and make sure the team can do their best.”

ADM has high goals in mind for this season and is hungry to find success, especially when people doubt the young team. Head Coach Rupe has shown excitement for the team and its future. He has not doubted these young wrestlers for a second.

“All in all, regardless of the age of the kids in the room, they come in here and they work hard, which is all we ask,” Rupe said.