• Seniors, your last day of school is May 17th.
  • We have two up and coming college visits, check out your email for more information.
  • Applications for the Summer Media Journalism Internship are due May, 3rd
  • Tickets for prom are on sale now. View your email for information about purchasing.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Check in your email for Vounteer Club Opportunities
  • Don't forget to nominate students for character spots. Use the form in your email.
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.
  • Job Posting: Computer Support Specialist with ADM Schools
  • Registration for Fall 2024 Dmacc Classes is Open

Saving Money This Holiday Season

How to Spend Your Money Wisely During Christmas
Christmas+presents+await+under+the+tree+
Photo by Getty Images
Christmas presents await under the tree

During this holiday season, 200 million packages are predicted to be shipped and delivered every week leading up to Christmas. Gifts are continuously showing up at doorsteps, holiday sales are everywhere, and shopping can start to feel overwhelming. And while these habits are completely understandable, the consequences and guilt that come after exponential shopping are more than unpleasant. Here are some things to keep in mind while shopping and tips you can implement to save yourself some financial pain in the new year.

1. Plan Ahead

The best way to get on top of your Christmas shopping is to create a plan. Randomly buying gifts whenever and wherever can cause spending to become out of control. By writing out gift ideas and prices (on paper or notes app) all of a sudden there is a clear picture as to how much money you will spend spending and how many gifts you have to purchase. When you go to do your Christmas shopping, only seek out the gifts on your list. If you find a better item to gift someone, see if this could replace something of the same price on your list.

2. Budget 

After you make your Christmas gift list, you can start budgeting for those gifts. Ask yourself, “Am I okay with spending this much?” and “Am I able to spend this much?”. Then begin to cut out unnecessary spending the month before and the month after your holiday shopping. For example, skip out on your daily $8 coffee or eating out on the weekends. This type of saving will allow you to lighten the financial blow as the season draws near.

3. Shop for Sales 

Christmas gifts can be expensive. The easiest way to save money during the holiday season is buying items that are on sale or even used. Items like a new desk or a book series can easily be purchased on Facebook Marketplace, a thrift store, or even from a family or friend member. Other gifts such as shoes or makeup may not be ideal to buy second-hand. This is when sales come in. Look on websites such as Amazon or Etsy for less expensive gifts. Shop during Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales to catch a great deal. Use gift cards to make purchases, or in and out of store coupon codes. All of these ways can help save yourself a little money while buying a ton of presents.

4. Gifts from the Heart 

Remember, Christmas is not about buying the most expensive or impressive gift. It is not about buying 50+ presents for someone nor is it about expecting the same from someone else. It is about family and friends and the love you have for those people in your life. Buy the gifts that have meaning, that will make someone happy opening and you happy watching them. Create a present that will last a lifetime. Buy a gag gift that will continue to be joked about for years. Showing that you love and care for someone does not come from expensive items or an abundance of boxes under a tree. It comes from the love behind the gift that makes it special.