• The Drake Relays are offering free general admission for the track and field day on 4/26
  • No School this Friday. 4/26
  • We have two up and coming college visits, check out your email for more information.
  • Applications for the Summer Media Journalism Internship are due May, 3rd
  • Tickets for prom are on sale now. View your email for information about purchasing.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Check in your email for Vounteer Club Opportunities
  • Don't forget to nominate students for character spots. Use the form in your email.
  • Submissions for ADM's Literary Magazine are due May 1st
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.

Priscilla Movie: A Review

Photo by Pitchfork free use photos

Of course, everyone has heard of Elvis Presley. He is the “King of Rock ‘n’ Roll” as some might say. Elvis was born in 1935 and grew up poor in Tupelo, Mississippi. He later moved to Memphis as a teenager and began his singing career in 1954. In the movie Priscilla, we get to see a little bit of Elvis’ background, but mostly his up-rising in the music industry, and the girl he falls in love with… Priscilla.

Elvis is played by Jacob Elordi who also acts in many popular movies/shows such as The Kissing Booth, Euphoria, Saltburn, and many more. Elvis’ wife, Pricilla, is played by Cailee Spaeny, who is most popularly known in the show Mare of Easttown. Both of these actors fill the roles perfectly for who they are supposed to be.

To give a little bit of background, Priscilla and Elvis had a 10-year age gap. Although this already sounds bad enough—or maybe it doesn’t— Priscilla was at the ripe age of 14 when she and Elvis met. This made Elvis 24 at the time. You may be thinking, how did they meet? Well, Priscilla was living in Germany at the time while her stepfather was serving as a U.S. Air Force officer. Elvis also served in the military, specifically in the army, and was introduced to Priscilla by one of his friends also in the army. Priscilla’s stepfather was quick to frown upon the idea that his 14-year-old daughter was going out with a 24-year-old man. This also seemed crazy to me and I didn’t think a relatioship like that would work. Although, Priscillas father did not stop them from seeing each other as Elvis seemed very manipulative and convincing that it would be okay.

When it came time for Elvis to leave Germany and go back to the U.S., it left Priscilla distraught as she didn’t know if she would ever see him again. Elvis was still able to communicate with Priscilla by phone, but not long after he left Germany, rumors about him and Nancy Sinatra started flying. Since Elvis and Priscilla had such a big age gap, it was common that Elvis would be involved with girls older then Priscilla, and as one would, it did not go over well with her. At this point in the movie I though it would be the end for them, but Priscilla was still adamant about seeing Elvis. After much convincing, Priscilla’s parents allowed her to visit Elvis for a couple of weeks. Priscilla was 17 during this time. After her two week long stay it came time for Priscilla to leave Elivs again to go back home, she refused. She wanted more than anything to stay there with Elvis, but he told her it would only make things worse if she didn’t go back. Priscilla traveled back home but realized wherever Elvis was was where she wanted to be.  She brought the idea up to her parents that she wanted to move in with Elvis. Her parents were obviously quick to say no as she still had a high school education to finish and wasn’t even an adult yet. After being turned down by her parents, Elvis made a call to her dad giving the details that if Priscilla moved there, she would be enrolled in a nice catholic school, and would be living with Elivs’ parents. After deep consideration and a lot of thought, Pricilla’s parents finally gave in and allowed her to go. And so the story continues.

That is mostly the background and beginning of the plot of the movie, but there is so much more to find out. This movie takes you through a rollercoaster of events with many twists and turns that you may not expect. It gives you many details as to what happened behind the scenes of Elvis and Priscilla’s relationship that goes much deeper than the surface-level knowledge. If you are like me, you may not think you’d be interested in a movie like this, but I can tell you it may be worth your while. I barely knew anything about Elvis or Priscilla before watching this movie and I didn’t think that it would be something I would enjoy. But to my surprise, I thought it was pretty good and I would recommend it to anyone who needs a new movie recommendation.