• The Drake Relays are offering free general admission for the track and field day on 4/26
  • No School this Friday. 4/26
  • We have two up and coming college visits, check out your email for more information.
  • Applications for the Summer Media Journalism Internship are due May, 3rd
  • Tickets for prom are on sale now. View your email for information about purchasing.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Check in your email for Vounteer Club Opportunities
  • Don't forget to nominate students for character spots. Use the form in your email.
  • Submissions for ADM's Literary Magazine are due May 1st
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.

Watches Are Useless

The world runs on clocks and time, but the world does not run on watches. The dictionary definition of a watch is “a small timepiece worn typically on a strap on one’s wrist.” This says that the only difference between a wall clock and a watch is that it can be worn with a strap, and a watch is smaller than a wall clock. The problem with watches is that we have made a portable clock that can tell us the time and it is called a phone. The phone is also just as portable as a watch.

The modern-day cell phone can do just about anything you want it to do such as making long-distance calls and being able to access the internet. The phone can do all these things while also fitting in your hand. The watch does not have any of these features, with the one exception of telling time. Watches that do less than phones also cost much more than your average phone. No brand exemplifies this more than Rolex which sells watches at absurdly high prices. The Rolex Submariner can sell on Amazon for $25,500. That is an insanely high price for something that can be done on a phone that costs about $700.

There are watches that can do some things that phones can do, but the watches are harder to use than phones. The reason watches are more difficult to use is because the screen is much smaller making it harder to use the touchscreen. These watches also came out after multiple different variations of the smartphone came out. The watches are years behind phones and they both cost the same amount. The phones out on the market right now are also more durable than most watches so a phone will last longer on average.

Phones are not the only things that make a watch irrelevant because other clocks exist. If you are in your home and need to look at a clock, use your microwave. There are also alarm clocks that you can buy for less than most watches and can be put in any room of your home. If you are at a place other than your house and want to know the time, then just look around the walls because most buildings have a clock on their walls. The outdoors don’t have clocks, but if you want to know the time outside you should buy a phone.

This all goes to show that watches have no use in our modern-day society, and people should spend their money on more useful things.