• Support the Softball and Baseball teams this summer as they look to go to state
  • Boys Golf wins the State Championship for the first time in school history
  • Girls Track wins State Champion title for the first time in school history
  • eSports finishes in 2nd place @State.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.
  • Job Posting: Computer Support Specialist with ADM Schools
  • Registration for Fall 2024 Dmacc Classes is Open
  • Follow our Black & Redgister TikTok @blackandredgister
  • See what goes into a news site at @BLACKANDREDGISTER on Instagram

The Writers Strike is Over

The writers’ strike has ended after 148 days. This strike was the longest interruption to the film industry as a whole since the worldwide pandemic that started in 2019. While the strike has ended, people still need to know why it started to avoid it again in the future.

The writers guild started in April due to the fact that writers thought they were not getting paid enough, and they were concerned about being replaced by AI writing bots. In May, members of the Writers Guild of America started protesting in front of a multitude of different film studios. Writers were starting to lose money at this time, so the WGA set up a community fund to help support the work force. In July, a producer from Lionsgate named Ian Woolf threatened a group of protesters. Insiders of big film studios said that negotiations would likely not happen until October. By that time, the writers would be so financially strained that they would have to come back to work. During August and September, a month long negotiation happened behind closed doors. Finally, on October 9th, a deal was made.

The writers signed a three year deal where they got most of their needs met. The contract only lasts three years; anything that happens after that is unknown. Currently, an active actors strike is continuing. The writers got what they wanted after months of perseverance. 

Share this…