• Seniors, your last day of school is May 17th.
  • We have two up and coming college visits, check out your email for more information.
  • Applications for the Summer Media Journalism Internship are due May, 3rd
  • Tickets for prom are on sale now. View your email for information about purchasing.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Check in your email for Vounteer Club Opportunities
  • Don't forget to nominate students for character spots. Use the form in your email.
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.
  • Job Posting: Computer Support Specialist with ADM Schools
  • Registration for Fall 2024 Dmacc Classes is Open

It’s “Lights Out” for Penn State

Photo by Ben Greth

October 21, 2023, was the biggest game of the college football season so far in week 8. It was between 2 of the most historic programs in all of college football, #7 Penn State 6-0 vs #3 Ohio State 6-0. This match had very high expectations. This was the best Penn State team in a long time and many thought they could come into Columbus and knock out the Buckeyes. ESPN’s College Gameday was in Columbus for the highly-ranked matchup. Fox’s pre-game show, Big Noon Kickoff, was in Columbus as well, and I went to watch it live on Saturday, October 21st. The game was being televised on Fox for their Big Noon Saturday game.

Ohio State had won 6 in a row against Penn State coming into this game and looked to continue their dominance. I went into the game as well and it was an experience of a lifetime. I will remember that day forever. For the most part, Ohio State dominated Penn State in this game from the beginning until the very end. Both teams have very good defenses, so points were hard to come by, as expected. Ohio State won the toss and they deferred to the 2nd half so Penn State went 3 and out to start the game as they couldn’t establish anything. Ohio State then took the ball, drove down, and got a field goal to take a 3-0 lead with 10:49 remaining in the first quarter.

Not much happened in the rest of the quarter except for Penn State getting a field goal to make the score 3-3 at the end of the first quarter. A big turning point in the game was in the 2nd quarter when Ohio State quarterback Kyle McCord fumbled and Penn State picked it up and returned it for a touchdown. It was waved off after Penn State was called for defensive holding. Then, Ohio State took advantage of the second opportunity with some help from Penn State on unsportsmanlike conduct and pass interference. They cashed in and made it 10-3. At halftime, Ohio State led Penn State 10-6. The difference maker in this game was Marvin Harrison Jr for Ohio State. He had 11 catches, 162 yards, and caught a touchdown. Ohio State dominated Penn State as their offense could not establish any type of rhythm throughout the game and their only touchdown came with 30 seconds left in the 4th quarter when Ohio State was up 20-6. The Final Score was 20-12. Ohio State’s defense played lights out and were able to stop the run and they held Penn State to 1 for 16 on 3rd down conversions. The winner of this game kept their hopes of winning the Big Ten Championship and making the College Football Playoff alive, while the loser, Penn State, needs the cards to fall their way.

Share this…