• Seniors, your last day of school is May 17th.
  • We have two up and coming college visits, check out your email for more information.
  • Applications for the Summer Media Journalism Internship are due May, 3rd
  • Tickets for prom are on sale now. View your email for information about purchasing.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Check in your email for Vounteer Club Opportunities
  • Don't forget to nominate students for character spots. Use the form in your email.
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.
  • Job Posting: Computer Support Specialist with ADM Schools
  • Registration for Fall 2024 Dmacc Classes is Open

Books to Read this Fall Season

Books to Read this Fall Season

There are thousands of great novels on the shelves today, and picking the perfect book can be stressful and overwhelming. But with fall just around the corner this is unexpectable. As the weather gets a little cooler and coffee orders get a little warmer, a good book can be the best way to to embrace the autumn weather. With that, here is a list of the top 5 books to read this fall season. Guaranteed you’ll finish one of these books before you can finish listening to Rosyln by St. Vincent and Bon Iver for the 20th time.

5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower 

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky is the ultimate coming of age story. The book follows Charlie, a freshman in high school who has always wanted to fit in but has never had the courage to speak up. He feels as though he is a background character in his own story. That is until he meets Sam and Patrick, two seniors that take Charlie under their wing. The book continues to follow Charlie throughout his freshman year as he deals with friendship, family, love, and the past. Chbosky tells the story through letters written by Charlie which makes you feel like you are digging through old archives of the past. Perks makes you feel reminiscent of your teenage years, and leaves you wanting to reflect on life itself. Beautiful written, Chbosky conveys important lessons on embracing yourself and living life to the fullest. With scenes that take place at football games and old diners, The Perks of Being a Wallflower will make you want to go for a drive, roll your windows down, and let the cool autumn air hit your face. (Trigger warnings include: suicide, sexual assault, violence, strong language alcohol and drug use, and homophobia).

4. The Midnight Library 

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig is a brilliant story that deals with the imperfectness of life. The novel follows a young women named Nora Seed whos life is more average than the average person. On the day she decides to die she expects her life to end right there. She is shocked when she is transported to a library full of books. The “what if this happened?” stories. The lives Nora could have lived. As she jumps from story to story, she reflects on the past, heals trauma, and begins to discover the meaning of life. But as she continues down the rabbit hole, the library becomes in danger and Nora realizes she can’t stay there forever. Ultimately she will have to make a choice. Chose life or chose death. Haig crafts a beautifully written story about the importance of the ordinary. Nora is a relatable character and makes you feel like you are not alone. The Midnight Library reminds you that you are important, worthy, and that every waking moment is a blessing. After you finish this book you will want to go outside to appreciate the changing leaves and the knowing that tomorrow will come. (Trigger warnings include: death, suicide, and mental illness)

3. Jacket Weather 

Jacket Weather by Mike DeCapite is the definition of fall on paper and ink. Jacket Weather follows Mike as he goes throughout the city of New York participating in all life has to offer. From recipes, to the sights and sounds of the city, to rediscovering love, Jacket Weather covers all four seasons of life. DeCapite has stunning pros which make you feel like you are reading straight from the main character’s soul. Like fall, Jacket Weather feels like new beginnings, honey and cinnamon, and burning candles wrapped up in one. This book makes you notice the little things in life and reminds you to take a step back and appreciate the now. Read this book if you want to feel the fall season nostalgia. (Trigger warnings include: toxic relationships, death, family issues, and strong language)

2. Looking for Alaska 

Looking for Alaska by John Green is a modern day classic. Miles Hater wants a fresh start. From gaining a new nickname, Pudge, to moving to a new state, his fresh start begins at Culver Creek Boarding School. Here he meets new friends such as Chip Martin, and takes exciting classes like religious studies. But nothing is more life changing than meeting Alaska Young and the tragic event that shakes the whole school. John Green takes growing up and writes the perfect story compiling all the feelings that come with it. Looking for Alaska feels like the chill fall wind hitting your face and then having a protective blanket thrown over you. From heartbreak and pain to love and joy, Green takes all the emotions that a teenager goes through during high school and normalizes them. With great descriptions of the fall weather, you can read this book and look up to see the exact same thing outside your window. (Trigger warnings include: alcohol and drug use, strong language, mental illness, death, and suicide)

1. If We Were Villains 

If We Were Villains by M. L. Rio is a beautiful piece of fiction that is the definition of dark academia. This story follows a group of seven fourth-year theater students who are getting ready to perform their last performance. Oliver, the main character, is anticipating the casting and ready for his final year at school. After the casting is announced and practices begin, tension rises between this prestigious friend group. When one of the friends is found dead by the lake, suspicions begin to arise as to how he actually died. Friendships start to crumble, stress becomes high, and the ultimate mystery is begging to be solved. But what if someone knows the truth, and what will the friends do to keep it a secret? Rio writes a stunningly tragic story all about loss and lust and lying. With poetic paragraphs and page turning dialogue, you will not want to put this book down until you solve the mystery. Grab your favorite snack and settle in by the fireplace because this is a gripping novel that has plot twists till the very last page. (Trigger warnings include: death, murder, homophobia, strong language and mental illness)

As busy as life gets in the fall season, things may get a little stressful. But there is no remedy like a good book that can help relieve some of that stress. So after a long day at school, work, or other time consuming activities, pick up one of these fall favorites. All of them capture the pure essence of autumn and will get you excited for another day full of pumpkin spice lattes, warm candles, fuzzy socks, and red-orange leaves falling everywhere around you.