Blum: Beauty in the Unknown

Asking me to narrow down one thing I learned this year in News Journalism is simply not possible. On the first day, I walked into room 402 and saw about 10 people I rarely, if ever at all, interacted with. Sat around a big table, hands in their laps, backs straight because this was a fairly professional-looking class, nothing like what we had experienced in our years prior. What I wasn’t expecting was to not only build relationships with these people but build what seems like our own little family. This class was a new adventure for all of us, and this new adventure would later prove to be something none of us were ready to leave so soon. Putting my finger on one specific thing that I learned this year isn’t possible solely because each and every person in this room has taught me more than I could imagine… so instead of focusing on one lesson I learned, I’m going to focus on each and every person that has made my year exactly what it’s been, sensational.

Kelsey,

I truly don’t think we could be more polar opposites. Our personalities and interests are so different, according to any book or movie, we wouldn’t be able to see eye to eye on anything this year because of the different perspectives we both held onto. While we may live two very separate lives, you held such a mature mindset while also being able to teach me so much in such a short amount of time. Your passion for all things you love was nothing but inspiring. This whole year your work has been nothing short of a perfect representation of what I could only imagine my work to look like. Wanting to test my limits in the Newsroom and expand on greater ideas rather than what seems easy for me is the type of role model you were for me. You’re work always had a deeper meaning or purpose behind it while you were still able to mix in light-hearted content as well. Your passion for education and the stories you wrote to represent that have already set me up for success next year to move beyond my comfort zone. You were our only senior this year and you were the best one we could have asked for. Your support and ability to help me grow my ideas always offered me the exact vote of confidence I needed to be the best journalist I could be.

Annelise,

You were one of the only exceptions to the number of strangers I saw walking into room 402 that day. We signed up for this class together and I assumed you would be the person I could fall back on to assure me that I was doing fine and I had nothing to worry about for the rest of the year. Oh, how I was wrong. You held me accountable for everything in this class, challenging me to start on new ideas and broaden my horizon for the stories I wanted to tell this year, for the journalist I wanted people to know me as. You were and still are my biggest confidant and any worries I held onto you, rarely ever let me settle, but made me the best person I am, for this class and for myself. Without you, the success I experienced this year would not be possible and I’d still be the same scatter-brained girl lacking the confidence to put my energy into anything even semi-useful. You’ve ensured my feeling of purpose on this team, in this family. While I may still lack focus and confidence at times, you’ve helped me prove to myself that I am capable of more than I imagined and ensured me that you are the perfect person I need in my life to push me to be the best version of myself. Love you, Smoochie.

Addi,

So much to say. You and I challenged each other for sure. We are both very headstrong people so needless to say our collaborative segment: Addi + Alli’s Addictions, was bound to be a challenge. It would turn out to be the most difficult part of both of our years in the Newsroom. This sounds negative, but it’s far from it. Together we have grown and learned to accept a good challenge and given the challenge and I am happy to say that I loved every moment of this new adventure with you. Taking on this segment with you, we had our share of ups and downs, and while there were definitely moments I could feel us growing increasingly more annoyed with each other, all those moments were for the betterment of our current relationship. Throughout the year, our friendship has changed tremendously and I love everything about it. We’ve grown so much closer especially through the car rides too and from whatever story idea we were able to muster up for that month. You’re a beautiful person inside and out, and I can’t wait to see what’s waiting for you and me in the future. (also RIP the AAA videos, they will be missed).

Delaney,

My favorite D-DOG. Our Editor-in-Cheif, our fearless leader. Your leadership capabilities are far more tremendous than I could have imagined. Without you leading us through this year I’m not sure the team would have been as successful as we were for such a long period of time. You have just the right amount of being an amazing friend, while also kicking our butts in gear when it was time to get serious. You are quite frankly the best person for the job and my vote will 100% always be for you. You bring a spark to the room that nobody else can match. Everything about your work ethic, your attention to detail, and your ability to empathize and be personable with each and every one of us gives me all the confidence I need to say without a doubt that this new staff would not be the same without you. The most difficult jobs in the Newsroom fall on your desk, but you handle it all like a champ. Tracy may never treat you like you deserve, but this news staff will forever value your presence and all the work you put into making this the best it can be. Next year will come with its own challenges, but I can’t wait to see what we accomplish with you…maybe even Vlogmas.

Chloe,

I love how spirited you are and how nothing can ever kill your fire. You never run out of ideas and you never fail to teach me something new. I love the perspective you bring to our conversations and the stories you tell us because some of the things you experience we could only dream of. Your involvement in the school brings us an amazing inside scoop that only has helped to upgrade our news team. I also love your passion for all the things you love. Despite the odds, whenever you put your mind to something I have no doubt you’re willing to do anything it takes to make that dream come true. Your talent is inspiring and the realness of your work and everything you produce inside and outside of the newsroom is incredible. You have such a creative soul and I can’t wait to see where it leads you. We will miss your presence dearly next year, be sure to keep us updated on everything.

Kate,

I can’t express how grateful I am that we were both in this class together this year. You bring the perfect amount of extra humor to every conversation that everyone could always use. I love watching the podcast, and it’s quite possibly one of my favorite things accomplished in the newsroom this year. Watching you succeed this year is nothing short of amazing. You’ve done great things this year and I’m excited to see what you have planned and in the works for next year. You are one of the most relatable people I’ve ever met and you always understand where each of us is coming from. You always understand what I’m saying, or at least you make it seem like you do, and that’s exactly what makes it so great to talk to you because I can always count on you for a second opinion. Everything about your personality and your attitude towards things is something this team couldn’t stand to lose. Thank you for being a part of this family we have created. I’m so excited to do it all again with you next year.

Alexa,

My biggest hype girl. You always have the perfect opinion I need at every moment. Your hard work and determination on the Friday Flash, in my opinion, can’t be beaten. You have added new little things and tweaks to the FF that have made it one of the best things this team has created all year. Your ideas are always exactly what we need to improve our content and our publication as a whole. Without your glowing and vibrant personality, I would 100% miss our daily conversations, telling each other about our weekends, what’s going on, and everything in between. You are one of the most positive people I have ever met and you genuinely are able to find the good in everything. This year I’ve watched you flip any minor or major inconvenience into not only something we can handle but something we look forward to. Your positive outlook on life always has me looking for the bright side of a situation. I love that we’ve grown closer this year and that you trust me to ask for my help in and outside of the newsroom. I’m sure next year there will be plenty of bloopers to come and I couldn’t be more excited.

Kaylin,

Believe me when I say that without a doubt you are definitely the smartest, most intellectual person I know. You have yet to run out of great ideas and your creativity is unmatched. Whether you be providing insight into a new bill passed the changes in the education system, the background of Paramour, explaining certain moments in history to me, or simply sitting at your desk crocheting a new sweater, I am constantly in awe of all that you can accomplish and the endless ideas you always seem to have held in a file somewhere inside your head. This year you have taught me that there are no rules or ends to my own creativity and the possibilities are endless with the right work ethic and passion moving towards what you want. I can’t say thank you enough for being someone to show me that I am capable of much more than I ever thought possible. I am so excited about what you will accomplish in the next couple of years and even after high school and I am also certain that you are bound to have an undeniable effect on this world that anybody would be blind to ignore.

Jorja,

You have one of the most kindest and purest souls of anyone I have ever met. The attention to detail you pay to everyone around you is a trait most people can only dream of attaining. The relationships you’ve built with everyone in the newsroom do not go unnoticed but when you’re gone we all notice that. Working with you is never hard, because I know that we can always agree on whatever is the task at hand. You bring a certain caring and sentimental light to this family and it wouldn’t be the same without you. You have yet to fail to impress me with one of your stories. You put so much time and effort into each and everyone because of your attention to detail trait. Thank you for coming into my life and being along for the ride that is this news team with me. It’s sad to think about the idea that you were a junior this year because that means there is a year where I’ll be doing this without you and the others and it just won’t be the same and I don’t think I’m ready for that. Until then though, this next year will without a doubt one up the amazing year we’ve already had and you being on the team plays such an important role in that. You are a light Jorja, never forget that.

Mrs. B,

To the woman that made this whole year possible, Thank you. I wish that all students could experience teaching as great as yours. You are one of the few teachers I’ve met that are willing to build long-lasting relationships with their students while also providing them with all the confidence and resources they could ever imagine to succeed. I’ve never been left to question if the faith you say you have in me is true or not because you are just that amazing at expressing your confidence in me as a person and a journalist. You have a certain trait about you that makes each and every one of your students feel special and important. I can always count on you to believe in me when I don’t even believe in myself. You’re the perfect role model to push me beyond my comfort zone and show me a new realm of possibilities. I know we’re not supposed to play favorites, but thank you for being mine. You are everything I could’ve ever asked for in a teacher and more. You’ve taught me to take advantage of the experiences and education you’re providing me with before it’s all things of the past. These next couple of years I am insanely excited to see what more you have in store for us and myself. Thank you again for everything and for being so amazing I only have one last thing to say, I hope both sides of your pillow are always cold.

So, after writing this whole thing I had hoped it would be able to express the gratitude and love I have for this team, but unfortunately only so much can be expressed in one story. I’ve loved every moment, learning curve, and challenge this year has thrown at us and I couldn’t imagine it with any other team other than the best. Thank you for a year worth remembering forever.

2022-2023 News Journalism Team, signing out.