Underrated Netflix Shows According To Our Students

Looking for a show to watch on Netflix for these upcoming breaks or just got finished? Here’s a long list of underrated Netflix shows from your classmates and peers and a short description to follow.

ACTION:

Angels of death (TV-MA  violence, mature themes): A young girl finds herself in this stage facility and must find a way to escape to save her life.

The Umbrella Academy (TV-14  crude indecent language, explicit sexual activity, graphic violence): 7 out of 43 babies who were born from random women who were not pregnant the day before were adopted by billionaire Sir Reginald Hargreeves. He created the umbrella academy to prepare his “children” to save the world.

ANIME:

Arcane (TV-14  swearing, violence, smoking, cruelty): Based on the popular video game League of Legends” it starts off with escalating unrest between the rich, utopian city of Piltover and its seedy, oppressed underbelly of Zaun. Sisters Vi and Jinx find themselves on opposing sides of the conflict.

Demon Slayer (TV-MA  fantasy violence, blood, demonic-looking creatures.): Teenager Tanjiro Kamado strives to become a demon slayer after his family was slaughtered and his sister turns into a demon.

Spirit Away (PG): Ten-year-old Hayao Miyazaki and her parents stumbled upon what seemed like an abandoned amusement park. In reality, the “park” is actually a resort for supernatural beings who need a break from Earth.

The Promised Neverland (TV-14  dark themes, violence): When three gifted orphan children find out the purpose that they were raised for, they lead the other children in a risky plan to escape their evil caretaker.

COMEDY:

I’m Not Okay With This (TV-MA  language, fantasy violence): Teenager Syd, is trying to navigate high school awkwardness, family drama, and her crush on her best friend all while trying to get her powers under control.

Seinfeld (TV-PG  Occasional Swearing): Four friends, Jerry Seinfeld, George Costanza, Elaine Benes, and Cosmo Kramer find laughs in both the mundane and ridiculous.

Shameless (TV-MA  Graphic descriptions of sex, full-frontal nudity, drug use, alcohol abuse): Frank Gallagher, a single father of six spends most of his time at local bars, leaving his eldest daughter Fiona to take care of all the kids.

The Middle (12+): The daily mishaps of a married woman and her semi-dysfunctional family who live in a small town in Indiana.

The IT Crowd (TV-14): Many companies rely on their IT departments to keep things running. In the basement of a London office tower IT group Moss, Roy, and Jen do their best to keep things running while trying to put in little effort and social contact.

Good Girls (TV-MA): Sisters Beth and Annie and their best friend Ruby become fed up with playing by the rules and still not earning any respect, they decide to get together and take control of their lives by holding up a local grocery store.

CRIME:

Blacklist (TV-14  explosions, collisions, shootings, stabbings): Elizabeth Keen, new FBI profiler, is very confused when criminal Raymond Reddington escapes the capture he was in for decades and turns himself in. Reddington says that he will only talk to Keen about it all.

Criminal Minds (TV-14  realistic descriptions of violence, torture, shootings, horrific murders, bloody causalities): Follow the jobs of a team of criminal profilers who work for the FBI and investigate crimes.

DRAMA:

Breaking Bad (TV-MA  language, sex, nudity): A high school teacher that is dying of cancer comes together with a graduated student. To secure his families future the teacher, along with the help of the former student, starts manufacturing and selling crystal meth.

Gilmore Girls (TV-PG  suggestive dialogue, coarse language, some sexual situations, moderate violence): The multigenerational drama about friends and family is centered around Lorelai Gilmore and her daughter Rory. This uplifting show will also keep you on your toes.

Manifest (TV-14  little violence): Passengers and crew from a plane that went missing in the air over five years ago suddenly land after they were all presumed dead.

Never Have I Ever (TV-14  drinking, language, sex talk): Follows the life of Devi, an Indian-American high school student who is also dealing with the recent death of her father.

Riverdale (TV-14  maturity): A group of teenagers, the jock Archie, the girl next door Bettie, the new girl Veronica, and the outcast Jughead, investigate the evils lurking around their seemingly innocent town after a local teen was murdered.

The OA (TV-MA mature content, disturbing moments, frequent drowning scenes): This show follows the story of Prairie Johnson, an adopted young woman who recently returned after being missing for seven years.

Wentworth (TV-MA  sex and nudity, violence and gore, profanity, alcohol drugs, and smoking): After being charged with the attempted murder of her husband, this show follows the life of Bea Smith as she first enters prison.

HORROR/THRILLER:

American Horror Story (TV-MA  disturbing or graphic scenes, strong language, sexual content, drug/alcohol use, extreme violence): This show is about a family of three known as the Harmons who move into a new house in Boston to escape their past. They soon find out that the new house they’ve just moved into is haunted.

Berlin Syndrome (R  language, nudity, disturbing violent content, strong sexuality): On what was supposed to be a fun night out, a young photographer meets a supposed teacher and goes with him back to his place. things take a turn for the worst when the teacher holds the young photographer captive.

Ozark (TV-MA  drug use, violence, sexual content, cartel crime): Marty Byrde and his family move from their home in Chicago to a summer resort in the Ozarks. Marty has moved his family after some money-laundering schemes go wrong, owing a substantial debt to a Mexican drug lord he moves to keep his family safe.

Z Nation (TV-MA  violence): Many years after the Zombie virus swept all across America, there is only one known survivor who goes by murphy. The last functioning lab needs his blood to hopefully find a vaccine for the virus.

KID-FRIENDLY:

Alexa And Katie (G  mild language): This show follows the life of Alexa, a new high school student who is also dealing with cancer. She maintains her outgoing personality and enthusiasm for life thanks in part to her best friend Katie.

Lab Rats (TV-Y7  mild violence): This follows the life of Leo a normal teenager who discovers his stepfather’s underground lab that houses three superhuman teenage experiments.

Liv And Maddie (TV-G): Liv and Maddie Rooney are teenage identical twins who have been leading different lives for years. Maddie is a high school basketball phenom, while Liv is a Hollywood actress.

Transformers Rescue Bots (5+  some cartoon violence): A specialized team of Autobots that aren’t quite ready for battles are given vital missions by Optimus Prime.

REALITY:

The Mole (TV-14  diverse representations, language): A group of 14-year-old strangers take on physical and mental challenges but also keeping an eye out for a mole within the group.

SPORTS:

All American (TV-14  Language, drug use, mature content): Rising high school football star and straight-A student Spencer James is given an opportunity to go to school in Beverly Hills. After much debate, his mother and best friend help him decide that this is an opportunity he can’t miss.

Cobra Kai (TV-14  strong language, violence): Seeking redemption after a karate tournament, Johnny Lawerence reopens the infamous Cobra Kai dojo. This ends up re-sparking his long-time rivalry with a now-successful Daniel LaRusso.

SUPERHERO:

Arrow (TV-14  moderate violence, bloody images): Oliver Queen, playboy, and billionaire has returned from being shipwrecked for five years on a remote island. As he has returned he has started to fight crime and corruption secretly on the side.

Some other shows that were recommended were more popular shows like Outer Banks, Stranger Things, and The Vampire Diaries. I hope this helps pass the time during these upcoming breaks.