January Kiwanis Student of the Month: Chris Aukes

Senior Chris Aukes, child of John and Tracy Aukes, has been nominated as one of January’s Kiwanis Students of the Month. Their GPA is at 3.89 and their favorite classes are News because it pushes them to meet deadlines and be themself. They like Band because it’s like a family and they’re besties with Mr. Braun, and Art because they get to be creative and be themself.

They are involved in Band, News, Theatre, Speech, NCYL, and the International thespian society, and they have 2 jobs. When asked what they have learned from their activities, Aukes says “I’ve learned how to be a leader, and how to work with others, and how to respect and love others.”

They volunteer at Meals for the Heartland, sometimes at their church, and and through the school. They’re attending Iowa State University with a major in Human Development and Family Services. Their advice to others is “Don’t be afraid to get yourself out there in activities and stuff. I was super hesitant to put myself out there and join activities and be who I really was. I remember my first year for the musical I said that I didn’t really plan to audition and I didn’t sing for my audition when I knew I could sing. So just, don’t be afraid to be yourself and do the things you want to do.”

It means a lot to them to be recognized for their good grades and their leadership and receive the honor of Kiwanis Student of the Month.