Brady: Stepping Out of Your Comfort Zone

All of my best memories and most notable experiences are ones that I stepped out of my comfort zone for, and that includes News.

Fall of junior year me was a lot different than summer after junior year me, as in current me. We were all coming back from being quarantined, and I had never done any extracurricular type of activities besides band or student council when I was a freshman. I was pretty nervous to take News, but I was able to because I had a few friends taking it with me. What I didn’t know, though, was that I would end up taking it with all of my friends. Everyone in the news staff brought a wonderful angle and a wonderfully unique piece to the Black and Redgister and Mrs. B’s classroom dynamic. They all became some of my good friends that I know I would not have if it wasn’t for this class. I found myself excited for 4th hour to roll around, which was rare for me to get excited about a class in school. I really came out of my shell and found a new part of myself and new people in my corner.

I am forever grateful for my time on the News staff. I owe a huge amount of my growth this year to the news journalism class and Mrs. Basinger. I used to be really afraid to try new things, but high school is a time to come out of your shell and try new things. Your life has barely started but gaining different skills early on is so important — just like how different colors and shapes are good for a child’s development early on.

I really do believe that if you aren’t constantly doing something that makes you just uncomfortable enough to stretch yourself, then you are just standing still. Your life will stay the same as it is right now forever, and I am sure we’d all hate that. Life moves fast and the only direction is forward.

Taking news and being a journalist seemed like the most terrifying obstacle, but looking back it has been one of the best decisions I have made so far in high school. I will always remember this class and it will have such a special place in my heart.