• Support the Softball and Baseball teams this summer as they look to go to state
  • Boys Golf wins the State Championship for the first time in school history
  • Girls Track wins State Champion title for the first time in school history
  • eSports finishes in 2nd place @State.
  • Check out FREE Yoga classes for highschool students on Friday's at Soulshine
  • Yearbook are on Sale NOW. Use code 3522 Online or Bring Cash to Room 402.
  • Job Posting: Computer Support Specialist with ADM Schools
  • Registration for Fall 2024 Dmacc Classes is Open
  • Follow our Black & Redgister TikTok @blackandredgister
  • See what goes into a news site at @BLACKANDREDGISTER on Instagram

Priestley: Outside of the Classroom

The+door+that+journalism+student+would+walk+out+each+day.+
Photo by Katelyn Priestley
The door that journalism student would walk out each day.

In the spring of 2023 I decided that it would be best for me to join the Black and (Red)gister news staff, knowing that it would give me college credit and get me more involved in the school. I knew going into the class I had many friends that have been on staff the previous year. Speaking with them I have learned that Mrs. Basinger would be a great teacher and mentor to journalistic writing throughout the year. I would have never imagined that things that I would be able to learn and accomplish, doing so hands on and in the class.

In middle school and early high school, math had always been my strong suit because there was always a right answer to each question and it fulfilled me when I was able to get a question correct. English and writing were different, there was no right answer but instead creativity fueled your work. In the news room is where I learned that writing didn’t have to be full essays about history or a book, but it could be about our schools track team reaching there goals or teachers doing what they do best inside a classroom and being able to recognize that through Teacher of the Month. The news room is where I learned that to be a good writer, you have to be able to step outside of your comfort zone, and interview the person you have never spoken to before, because everyone has there own story but not everyone is able to tell it.

Mrs. Basinger had many famous quotes she shared with us, many of which will stick with me. The one that stands out the most is the one she always said before we walked out the door each day, “Have a good day, be great today.” This was a simple way of sharing with us she wanted us to have a good rest of our day. On top of that she always added, “be great today.” Not only did she want us to succeed in her class but in every class we decide to take. She wanted us to do great things outside of the classroom, continue to “get the story” and represent the Black and (Red)gister news staff everywhere.

The learning we have done in News extended outside of classroom walls. This year I got the opportunity to visit Maui, Hawaii and knew that it would be a missed opportunity to not be able write a story about it. This story was my favorite story to create this year because it was my first photo story that I completed on my own from start to finish. Not only did I try knew things with editing the photos but I also got to try new food to be able to create the story. At each restaurant we visited I looked through the menu for something new, something colorful and something worth being photographed.

Being able to learn walking down the hallway interviewing someone or at a sporting event taking pictures is a blessing that many students don’t get the opportunity to experience in their high school careers. This way of learning is something that I want to be able to do as I finish high school, prepare for college and take on to my future job.