Delaney Kahler works on a story with student journalist, Kaylin Dains, to meet a deadline.
Photo by Addi Herrick
Categories:

Kahler: Not the End, the Beginning

Two years ago I joined the Black & (Red)gister staff hoping to scratch the itch of always feeling like I needed to be writing. Words came easily to me, yet I still didn’t really know the true lasting impact high school journalism would have on me.

Headlines, deadlines, and brainstorming sessions became the highlights of my high school career. I learned how to communicate effectively, rely on a team, trust myself, and be a good leader on staff. However, as the weeks slowly trickled by, I was dreading the very end of what became my everything. The thought of all the “lasts” in room 402 pounded through my head and caused me to severely stress about what would be next for me. How will I enjoy my time on publications in college as much as I did here? How am I going to grow as a writer without the teacher who planted the seed for me? What’s my next big thing?

I failed to realize the fact that I’m not leaving anything behind. Everything I have learned in News Journalism will be carried with me throughout college, my career, and the rest of my life. I learned how to speak my mind even when it feels hard. I developed the skills to effectively gain information from a source and relay it in a way that makes sense. I learned that not everyone will have the same opinions as me, and that’s okay. Most importantly, I learned that I am capable– capable of success, capable of changing, and capable of doing anything I set my mind to.

The positivity in the newsroom was unmatched by any other environment I have been in. I felt seen, I felt heard, and I felt known. It was my sanctuary; a place where I could go for a quick pick-me-up from a fellow student journalist or a healing conversation with Mrs. Basinger.

The leadership of being the Editor-In-Chief for two years was a blessing to have, and even though I know I will have to work my way up to a similar position again in college, I know that I have the skillsets and the foundational knowledge to do it. I learned from the people before me and bid the person after me good luck. To whoever holds the title of Editor next year, remember to celebrate the small wins. Build good team morale and know that not every month, deadline, or story is going to run smoothly. Stay calm under pressure and prioritize your staff. And never forget the deadline parties.

While graduating is bittersweet and leaves an ache in my stomach, I know that my career as a journalist isn’t over, but rather it has just begun.