Week 13 Capitol Update

Students from ADM visit the Iowa House on Student Voice Day

This week at the capitol, the legislature began to finalize the budget for FY18. With a major budget shortfall, taxpayer funded programs that are not necessary are likely to be cut or their budget largely reduced. Legislators have been getting major pushback on the defunding of the Leopold Center at Iowa State. The House GOP newsletter states, “This budget proposes to terminate the Leopold Center at Iowa State University and to redirect the ongoing statutory allocation of 35% of the annual Groundwater Protection fund monies (at least $1.5-million) derived from fertilizer and herbicide excise taxes to the Iowa Nutrient Research Center.”

Along with the Leopold Center, the Iowa Energy Center, also located at Iowa State, is currently administered by ISU. District 19 Representative Ralph Watts wrote in his newsletter, “Energy has been a discussion topic over the past couple of decades; however, with the large percentage of renewable energy being produced, the Energy Center focus has changed. The funds derived through the assessment on energy sales in the state will be utilized to promote economic development activities through the Iowa Economic Development Association.”

It is expected that the Iowa legislature will be out of session by the 18th of April when their per diem expires, which is 10 days earlier than recent years. It is likely that the House will suspend the rules to go longer than 12 am for floor debate on Monday and Tuesday. Much of the budget will be disagreed on by the Democratic party due to large funding cuts in order to balance the budget.  You can watch the livestream for both the House and Senate by visiting: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/

Bills sent back to the House:

Both the gun and voter ID bill were sent back to the Iowa House from the Senate with a few minor amendments. Both passed the House for a second time and were sent to the Governor’s desk for his signature to become law.

Days on the hill this week: 

• Fund the Trust Day
  • Religious Freedom Day
  • Des Moines University Health Day
  • McDonald’s Day
  • Golf Tourism Day
  • Student Voice Day